Financial Accelerator Mechanism: Evidence for Colombia
AbstractColombia experienced a deep recession in 1999-2003. Growth slowed by 4.2%, and investment by 34.6%. Was the severity of the recession due to a ¯nan- cial accelerator mechanism µa la Bernanke, Gertler, and Gilchrist (1999)? To answer this question, this paper estimates a dynamic stochastic general equilib- rium model with credit-market imperfections for the Colombian economy using Bayesian methods. The results show that balance-sheet e®ects played an im- portant role in explaining recent Colombian recession; the ¯nancial accelerator mechanism turns out to be quantitatively signi¯cant accounting for about 50 percent of the total reduction in output after a monetary policy tightening.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 004509.
Date of creation: 30 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Martha R. López P & Norberto Rodríguez N., . "Financial Accelerator Mechanism: Evidence for Colombia," Borradores de Economia 481, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Bay - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - - - -
- Est - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1999.
"Monetary policy and asset price volatility,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 77-128.
- Ali Dib & Ian Christensen, 2005.
"Monetary Policy in an Estimated DSGE Model with a Financial Accelerator,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
314, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ian Christensen & Ali Dib, 2006. "Monetary Policy in an Estimated DSGE Model with a Financial Accelerator," Working Papers 06-9, Bank of Canada.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2002.
"Endogenous Money or Sticky Prices?,"
NBER Working Papers
9390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998.
"Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: A Canonical Model,"
98-21, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998. "Financial crises in emerging markets: a canonical model," Working Paper 98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Jose Eduardo Gómez-González & Juan carlos Mendoza, .
"Failing and Merging as Competing Alternatives during Times of Financial Distress: Evidence from the Colombian Financial Crisis,"
Borradores de Economia
588, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- José Eduardo G�mez-Gonz�lez, 2012. "Failing and Merging as Competing Alternatives during Times of Financial Distress: Evidence from the Colombian Financial Crisis," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 26(4), pages 655-671, October.
- Jose Eduardo Gómez-González & Juan Carlos Mendoza, 2010. "Failing and Merging as Competing Alternatives during Times of Financial Distress: Evidence from the Colombian Financial Crisis," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 006726, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gelain, Paolo, 2010. "The external finance premium in the Euro area: A dynamic stochastic general equilibrium analysis," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 49-71, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.