Forecasting The Usd/Cop Exchange Rate: A Random Walk With A Variable Drift
AbstractThis study develops three exchange rate models as well as a simple statistical model defined as a random walk with a variable drift. The exchange rate models all use the purchasing power parity hypothesis to account for the long-term relationships between prices and the exchange rate, together with error correction models to represent any shortterm dynamics. The models are estimated for the USD/COP rate of exchange, and their forecast performance is compared to that of a simple random walk as well as to that of the random walk with a variable drift term. Two of the models are shown to outperform the simple random walk on the 12 and 24-months forecasting horizon. However, all the models are outperformed by the random walk with a variable drift, where the drift term is estimated using a Kalman filter. The results suggest that fundamental models might only be a useful tool for forecasting of the exchange rate in the very long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 002736.
Date of creation: 31 Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1978. "Rational Expectations," Discussion Papers 406, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hooper, Peter & Morton, John, 1982. "Fluctuations in the dollar: A model of nominal and real exchange rate determination," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 39-56, January.
- Lyons, Richard K., 1995.
"Tests of microstructural hypotheses in the foreign exchange market,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 321-351.
- Richard K. Lyons, 1993. "Tests of Microstructural Hypotheses in the Foreign Exchange Market," NBER Working Papers 4471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard K. Lyons., 1993. "Tests of Microstructural Hypotheses in the Foreign Exchange Market," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-230, University of California at Berkeley.
- George Tawadros, 2001. "The predictive power of the monetary model of exchange rate determination," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 279-286.
- Culter, D.M. & Poterba, J.M. & Summers, L.H., 1990.
"Speculative Dynamics And The Role Of Feedback Traders,"
545, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Cutler, David M & Poterba, James M & Summers, Lawrence H, 1990. "Speculative Dynamics and the Role of Feedback Traders," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 63-68, May.
- David M. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1991. "Speculative Dynamics and the Role of Feedback Traders," NBER Working Papers 3243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Froot, Kenneth A, 1990. "Chartists, Fundamentalists, and Trading in the Foreign Exchange Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 181-85, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Kim, Benjamin J. C. & Mo, Soowon, 1995. "Cointegration and the long-run forecast of exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 353-359, June.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, .
"The Colombian Economy in the nineties: Capital Flows and Foreign Exchange Regimes,"
Borradores de Economia
149, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, 2000. "The Colombian Economy In The Nineties: Capital Flows And Foreign Exchange Regimes," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003575, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Robert P. Flood & Mark P. Taylor, 1996. "Exchange Rate Economics: What's Wrong with the Conventional Macro Approach?," NBER Chapters, in: The Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets, pages 261-302 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edison, Hali J & Klovland, Jan Tore, 1987.
"A Quantitative Reassessment of the Purchasing Power Parity Hypothesis: Evidence from Norway and the United Kingdom,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 309-33, October.
- Hali J. Edison & Jan Tore Klovland, 1983. "A quantitative reassessment of the purchasing power parity hypothesis : evidence from Norway and the United Kingdom," International Finance Discussion Papers 231, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Bilson, John F. O., 1979. "The deutsche mark/dollar rate : A monetary analysis," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 59-101, January.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Sweeney, Richard J, 1986. " Beating the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 163-82, March.
- Richard Meese & Kenneth Rogoff, 1983.
"The Out-of-Sample Failure of Empirical Exchange Rate Models: Sampling Error or Misspecification?,"
in: Exchange Rates and International Macroeconomics, pages 67-112
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Meese & Kenneth Rogoff, 1982. "The out-of-sample failure of empirical exchange rate models: sampling error or misspecification?," International Finance Discussion Papers 204, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Taylor, Mark P. & Allen, Helen, 1992. "The use of technical analysis in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 304-314, June.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Taylor, Mark P., 1994. "The monetary model of the exchange rate: long-run relationships, short-run dynamics and how to beat a random walk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 276-290, June.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1979. "On the Mark: A Theory of Floating Exchange Rates Based on Real Interest Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 610-22, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Cumby, Robert E. & Modest, David M., 1987. "Testing for market timing ability : A framework for forecast evaluation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 169-189, September.
- Peter Rowland & Hugo Oliveros, 2003. "Colombian Purchasing Power Parity Analysed Using A Framework of Multivariate Cointegration," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002150, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.