COLOMBIA'S PUBLIC FINANCE IN THE 1990s: A DECADE OF REFORMS, FISCAL IMBALANCE, AND DEBT
AbstractAt the beginning of the nineties, a diversity of economic reforms were designed and implemented to reduce the size of the country's public sector with the objective of making it more efficient. Despite the reforms, ten years later, the Colombian public sector is 80% larger, and the financial sustainability of the Government presents serious problems. In 1999, Colombia's chief indicator of economic growth (GDP) was –4,3% and the unemployment rate reached 20%. Such an evident dwindling of the economic activity has been accompanied with imbalances in the macroeconomic accounts, particularly in the public sector. This paper provides a general description of Colombia's economic trends in the last few years, closely examining the factors which have undermined the country's public finances. Section II contains an overview of the fiscal imbalances registered as of the 1960s, and their relationship with both the real business cycle and the tax policy. Section III includes a synthesis of the main economic reforms introduced in the early nineties, and compares the size of the Colombian public sector with those of several neighboring countries. Section IV describes the key issues involved in the country's recent fiscal imbalance and, Section V, analyses the dynamics of the public debt and the question of its sustainability. The closing section outlines the policies for economic adjustment and reactivation currently debated in Colombia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 002140.
Date of creation: 30 Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Ignacio Lozano, . "Colombia's Public Finance in the 1990s: A Decade of Reforms, Fiscal Imbalance and Debt," Borradores de Economia 174, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Stanley & Easterly, William, 1990. "The Economic of the Government Budget Constraint," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 127-42, July.
- Ignacio Lozano, 2008.
"Budget Deficit, Money Growth and Inflation: Evidence from the Colombian Case,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
005127, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ignacio Lozano, . "Budget Deficit, Money Growth and Inflation: Evidence from the Colombian Case," Borradores de Economia 537, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Joaquín Viloria De La Hoz, 2001. "Descentralización en el Caribe colombiano: las finanzas departamentales en los noventas," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 002283, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Joaquín Mauricio Zuleta Arango & Lisandro López Marín & Daniel Sánchez García, 2010. "Descentralización Y Disparidades Económicas Territoriales En Colombia (1990-2005)," Observatorio de la Economía Latinoamericana, Grupo Eumed.net (Universidad de Málaga), issue 130, April.
- Juan David Barón Rivera & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 2003. "La descentralización y las disparidades económicas regionales en Colombia en la década de 1990," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 002975, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.