Capital Destruction, Optimal Defense and Economic Growth
AbstractThe effects of capital destruction are endogenized in a neoclassical growth model where the economy can optimally allocate part of its labor force to defend capital from being destroyed. The purpose is to explain the optimal allocation of the labor force between productive and deterrence activities along the optimal growth path in response to exogenous terrorist attacks against the material wealth of the economy. The article makes special case to the recent Colombian case and sheds some light on the dramatic increase in the defense activities in Colombia as a result of the increase of terrorist attacks by rebel groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 002096.
Date of creation: 31 Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Mejía & Carlos Posada, . "Capital Destruction, Optimal Defense and Economic Growth," Borradores de Economia 257, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roubini, Nouriel & Swagel, Phillip & Ozler, Sule & Alesina, Alberto, 1996.
"Political Instability and Economic Growth,"
4553024, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Armando Montenegro & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"Criminalidad en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
004, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Robert J. Barro, 2003. "Nothing is Sacred: Economic Ideas for the New Millennium," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262524155, December.
- Herschel I. Grossman & Minseong Kim, 1995.
"Predation and Accumulation,"
NBER Working Papers
5357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Esteban Posada & Francisco González, 2000. "El gasto en defensa, justicia y seguridad," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 2(2), pages 53-75, January-J.
- Alesina, Alberto, et al, 1996.
" Political Instability and Economic Growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth, Springer,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 189-211, June.
- Camacho, Andriana & Rodriguez, Catherine, 2010.
"Firm Exit and Armed Conflict in Colombia,"
Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER)
wp2010-94, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Adriana Camacho & Catherine Rodriguez, 2013. "Firm Exit and Armed Conflict in Colombia," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), Peace Science Society (International), vol. 57(1), pages 89-116, February.
- Adriana Camacho Gonzalez, 2007.
"Stress and birth outcomes evidence from terrorist attacks in Colombia,"
DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA
003945, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Adriana Camacho, 2007. "Stress and birth outcomes: evidence from terrorist attacks in Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE 004014, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Estrada, Fernando, 2011.
"The logic of the violence in the civil war: the armed conflict in Colombia,"
29685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Estrada G., Fernando, 2011. "The logic of the violence in the civil war: The armed conflict in Colombia," PERFIL DE COYUNTURA ECONÓMICA, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Estrada, Fernando, 2014. "The logic of the violence in the civil war: The armed conflict in Colombia," MPRA Paper 57160, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hernando Zuleta & Juanita Villaveces, 2008. "Conflict and negotiation: a game theoretical approach," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO 005148, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Julián David Parada, 2008. "Tasa de depreciación endógena y crecimiento económico," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO 004594, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Arias Andrés F. & Laura Ardila, 2003. "Military Expenditure and Economic Activity: The Colombian Case," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Estrada, Fernando, 2011. "Heuristic Schelling: economy of organized crime," MPRA Paper 31306, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liu, Tao-Xiong & Hu, An-Gang & Zhou, Bi-Hua, 2011. "Defense Expenditure and Economic Growth under External Predation," MPRA Paper 29286, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.