Controlling regional monopolies in the natural gas industry: the role of transport capacity
AbstractThis paper analyzes some optimal fiscal, pricing, and capacity investment policies for controlling regional monopoly power in the natural gas industry. By letting the set of control instruments available to the social planner vary, we provide a characterization of the technological and demand conditions under which “excess” capacity in the transport network arises in response to the loss of the two other control instruments, namely, transfers and pricing. Hence, the analysis yields some insights on an economy’s incentives to invest in infrastructures for the purpose of integrating geographically isolated markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its series DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO with number 010073.
Date of creation: 29 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-11-11 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENE-2012-11-11 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-TRE-2012-11-11 (Transport Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gasmi, Farid & Oviedo, Juan Daniel, 2010. "Investment in transport infrastructure, regulation, and gas-gas competition," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 726-736, May.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2003. "Access to Pipelines in Competitive Gas Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 5-33, July.
- Leautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2001. "Transmission Constraints and Imperfect Markets for Power," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Oviedo, Juan-Daniel & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Gasmi, Farid & Chaton, Corinne, 2008. "Un instrument de court terme pour stimuler la concurrence : Le gas release," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11509, Paris Dauphine University.
- Corinne Chaton & Farid Gasmi & Marie-Laure Guillerminet & Juan D. Oviedo, 2008. "Un instrument de court terme pour stimuler la concurrence. Le gas release," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 59(3), pages 475-486.
- Oviedo, Juan-Daniel & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Gasmi, Farid & Chaton, Corinne, 2012. "Gas Release and Transport Capacity Investment as Instruments to Foster Competition in Gas Markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11504, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chaton, Corinne & Gasmi, Farid & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Oviedo, Juan-Daniel, 2012. "Gas release and transport capacity investment as instruments to foster competition in gas markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1251-1258.
- Arthur De Vany & W. David Walls, 1994. "Open Access And The Emergence Of A Competitive Natural Gas Market," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(2), pages 77-96, 04.
- Farid Gasmi & Juan Daniel Oviedo, 2012. "Investment in transport capacity and regulation of regional monopolies in natural gas commodity markets," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 010074, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.