Health insurance as a strategy for access: streamlined facts of the colombian health care reform
AbstractThe Colombian reform to the health system (Law 100 of 1993) established, as strategy to facilitate the access, the universality of a health insurance that is acquired by means of the quotation in the contributive regime or by means of the gratuitous affiliation to the subsidized regime, in order to cover all the population with a unique plan of benefits that includes services in all levels of complexity. In this paper we intend to cover the main streamlined facts of the reform as far as coverage and access of the insurance, by means of logit models, the determinants of the enrollment and the access are considered, using data from the Living Standards Surveys of 1997 and 2003. It stands out that the coverage rose from 20% of the population in 1993 to 60% in 2003, although it seems very difficult to reach the universality; the structure and evolution of the coverage show that both regimes complement each other, while the contributive one has greater presence in the cities and among the population with formal employment, the subsidized one has greater weight among the rural population and in those with low levels of income; on the other hand, the insurance has advantages for the subsidized population, with a greater probability for use of the services, although the plan offers less benefits than the contributive one there are some barriers for the access.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its series DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO with number 002783.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2007-09-02 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2007-09-02 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-LAM-2007-09-02 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1999.
"The Anatomy of Health Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
7176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramón Abel Castaño & José J. Arbelaez & Ursula Giedion & Luis Gonzalo Morales, 2001. "Evolución de la equidad en el sistema colombiano de salud," DOCUMENTOS DE INVESTIGACION 002651, CEPAL NACIONES UNIDAS.
- Adam Wagstaff, 2010.
"Social health insurance reexamined,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 503-517.
- Grupo GES, 2005. "Macroeconomía y salud en Colombia," OBSERVATORIO SEGURIDAD SOCIAL 003183, GRUPO DE ECONOMÍA DE LA SALUD.
- Ramón Castaño & Andrés Zambrano, 2007. "Financial protection for the poor in Colombia: the effects of a subsidized health insurance scheme," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 002723, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Ronald Eduardo Gómez Suárez, 2007. "Cream-Skimming And Risk Adjustment in Colombian Health Insurance System:: The Public Insurer Case," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA 004295, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.