The Concurrent Impact of Cultural, Political, and Spatial Distances on International Mergers and Acquisitions
AbstractThe paper explores the concurrent effects of cultural, political, and spatial distances on M&A flows occurring between any two countries belonging to the whole European Union (27 States) or to the European Neighbors group (16 States) over the period 2000-2011 . By employing zero-inflated negative binomial specifications, entailing both a binary and count process, we adequately model the two different mechanisms which may generate zero observations in the cross-border bilateral deals. Zeros may be due to either the lack of any transactions or unsuccessful negotiations. We find robust evidence that the multi-dimensional distance between two countries negatively affects the probability that they will engage in M&A deals, while the recurrence rate of these deals is positively related to population, gross domestic product, and technological capital and negatively related to geographical distance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia in its series Working Paper CRENoS with number 201308.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Cross-border M&As; cultural and political distances; geographical distance; European Union; zero-inflated models; european neighboring countries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2013-06-16 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-GEO-2013-06-16 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2013-06-16 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. De Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 24, pages 55-106, 01.
- Antonin Aviat & Roberto A. de Santis & Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2009. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2005.
"Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange,"
2005 Meeting Papers
234, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2005. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange," CEPR Discussion Papers 4837, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange," NBER Working Papers 11005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2007. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange?," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/42, European University Institute.
- Jung Hur & Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2011. "Cross‐Border M&A Inflows And Quality Of Country Governance: Developing Versus Developed Countries," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 638-655, December.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999.
"The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Peter Egger, 2008. "On the Role of Distance for Bilateral Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5), pages 653-662, 05.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2005.
"Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment,"
2005-05, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 764-782, 05.
- Michaela Dodini & Marco Fantini, 2006. "The EU Neighbourhood Policy: Implications for Economic Growth and Stability," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 507-532, 09.
- Maureen Lankhuizen & Henri L.F. de Groot & Gert-Jan M. Linders, 2009.
"The Trade-Off between Foreign Direct Investments and Exports: The Role of Multiple Dimensions of Distance,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-050/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Maureen Lankhuizen & Henri L. F. de Groot & Gert‐Jan M. Linders, 2011. "The Trade‐Off between Foreign Direct Investments and Exports: The Role of Multiple Dimensions of Distance," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(8), pages 1395-1416, 08.
- Dunning, John H, 1973. "The Determinants of International Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 289-336, November.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Julian Birkinshaw, 2000. "Managing the Post-acquisition Integration Process: How the Human Iintegration and Task Integration Processes Interact to Foster Value Creation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37, pages 395-425, 05.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo F., 2004. "Cross-country determinants of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 277-304, November.
- Leo Sleuwaegen, 1998. "Cross-border Mergers and EC Competition Policy," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(8), pages 1077-1093, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.