Gas industry reforms and consumers' prices in the European Union
AbstractThis paper offers an empirical analysis of the impact of reforms in the natural gas industry on consumer prices across the EU-15 area. After briefly reviewing the most recent reforms, we study the relationship between regulatory indicators and price dynamics by means of panel data econometrics. Our findings suggest that so far there is limited evidence of beneficial effects for European consumers from the standard package of gas industry reforms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia in its series Working Paper CRENoS with number 200816.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
privatization; liberalization; regulatory reform; natural gas industry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- L95 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Gas Utilities; Pipelines; Water Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-12-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EEC-2008-12-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2008-12-21 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2008-12-21 (Marketing)
- NEP-REG-2008-12-21 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen P. A. Brown & Mine K. Yucel, 2008.
"What Drives Natural Gas Prices?,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 45-60.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2003.
"Regulation and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
9560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2002. "Regulation and Investment," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 549, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2003. "Regulation and Investment," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 352, OECD Publishing.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2005. "Regulation and Investment," Scholarly Articles 2579825, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Nicoletti, Giorgio & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2003. "Regulation and Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2004. "Electricity Market Reform in the European Union: Review of progress towards liberalisation and integration," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0471, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2944, The World Bank.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Frank Asche & Odd Bjarte Nilsen & Ragnar Tveteras, 2008. "Natural Gas Demand in the European Household Sector," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 27-46.
- Christopher R. Knittel, 2003. "Market Structure and the Pricing of Electricity and Natural Gas," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 167-191, 06.
- Testa, Federico & Stagnaro, Carlo, 2011.
"Reti di trasporto nazionale e concorrenza nei mercati del gas: il caso Eni-Snam Rete Gas
[Networks and competition in natural gas markets: the case of Eni-Snam Rete Gas]," MPRA Paper 48698, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Growitsch, Christian & Stronzik, Marcus, 2011. "Ownership Unbundling of Gas Transmission Networks - Empirical Evidence," EWI Working Papers 2011-7, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.