Innovation, Intangibles and Economic Growth: Towards A Comprehensive Accounting of the Knowledge Economy
AbstractAn earlier version of this paper was presented at a seminar on "Measurement of capital: beyond the traditional measures" at Conference of European Statisticians, 12 June 2007, Geneva; and at a conference on “Productivity and Innovation” organized by Statistics Sweden, October 24–25 2007, Grand Hotel, Saltsjöbaden. We are grateful to the participants for in these seminars for their comments. We also express our gratitude to our coauthors in the original projects underlying this paper, notably Marcel Timmer and Mary O’Mahony as concerning the EU KLEMS work, and Carol Corrado and Dan Sichel concerning the intangibles analysis for the United States. Any errors in this paper are of course entirely ours.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Conference Board, Economics Program in its series Economics Program Working Papers with number 07-02.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 845 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10022-6679
Phone: (212) 759-0900
Fax: (212) 980-7014
Web page: http://www.conference-board.org/publications/publicationlistall.cfm?sort=type#EconomicWorkingPaper
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2008-04-15 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2008-04-15 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Loren Hitt & Shinkyu Yang, 2002. "Intangible Assets: How the Interaction of Computers and Organizational Structure Affects Stock Market Valuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(1), pages 137-198.
- Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer & Bart van Ark, 2006.
"Mind the gap! International comparisons of productivity in services and goods production,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d06-175, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer & Bart van Ark, 2007. "Mind the Gap! International Comparisons of Productivity in Services and Goods Production," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 281-307, 05.
- Inklaar, Robert & Timmer, Marcel & van Ark, Bart, 2006. "Mind the gap! International Comparisons of Productivity in Services and Goods Production," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-89, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Mauro Giorgio Marrano & Jonathan Haskel, 2006.
"How Much Does the UK Invest in Intangible Assets?,"
578, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Carol Corrado & Charles Hulten & Daniel Sichel, 2005.
"Measuring Capital and Technology: An Expanded Framework,"
in: Measuring Capital in the New Economy, pages 11-46
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carol Corrado & Charles Hulten & Daniel Sichel, 2004. "Measuring capital and technology: an expanded framework," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-65, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2006.
"Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0716, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2007. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(4), pages 1351-1408, November.
- Bloom, Nicholas & Van Reenen, John, 2006. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 5581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," NBER Working Papers 12216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin & Julia Lane & Paul Lengermann & Kristin McCue & Kevin McKinney & Kristin Sandusky, 2005.
"The Relation among Human Capital, Productivity, and Market Value: Building Up from Micro Evidence,"
in: Measuring Capital in the New Economy, pages 153-204
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Abowd & John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin & Julia Lane & Paul Lengermann & Kristin McCue & Kevin McKinney & Kristin Sandusky, 2002. "The Relation among Human Capital, Productivity and Market Value: Building Up from Micro Evidence," Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers 2002-14, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Kyoji Fukao & Tsutomu Miyagawa & Kentaro Mukai & Yukio Shinoda & Konomi Tonogi, 2009.
"Intangible Investment In Japan: Measurement And Contribution To Economic Growth,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(3), pages 717-736, 09.
- FUKAO Kyoji & HAMAGATA Sumio & MIYAGAWA Tsutomu & TONOGI Konomi, 2007. "Intangible Investment in Japan: Measurement and Contribution to Economic Growth," Discussion papers 07034, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall, 1993. "The Value and Performance of U.S. Corporations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 1-50.
- Charles R. Hulten, 2001. "Total Factor Productivity. A Short Biography," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 1-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry, 1999. "Cellular Telephone, New Products, and the CPI," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 188-94, April.
- Kevin J. Stiroh & Dale W. Jorgenson, 1999. "Information Technology and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 109-115, May.
- Black, Sandra E & Lynch, Lisa M, 1996. "Human-Capital Investments and Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 263-67, May.
- Bart van Ark, 2002. "Understanding Productivity and Income Differentials Among OECD Countries: A Survey," The Review of Economic Performance and Social Progress, in: Andrew Sharpe, Executive Director & France St-Hilaire, Vice-President , Research & Keith Banting, Di (ed.), The Review of Economic Performance and Social Progress 2002: Towards a Social Understanding of Productivity, volume 2 Centre for the Study of Living Standards & The Institutute for Research on Public Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (A Ozyildirim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.