Measuring Neighborhood Investments: Urban Quality of Life Expenditures by Race
AbstractCommunity choice is a very important household decision since it represents an investment in community attributes that can have a significant impact on the quality of life of all household members, particularly influencing the future prospects of children. In this paper, 1990 Census data are used to rank communities in Los Angeles County. We study the community choice of new migrants and find that controlling for income, black and Hispanic households consume significantly less in community attributes. Potential explanations for this gap are explored.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Columbia University, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 1996_13.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1022 International Affairs Building, 420 West 118th Street, New York, NY 10027
Phone: (212) 854-3680
Fax: (212) 854-8059
Web page: http://www.econ.columbia.edu/
More information through EDIRC
QUALITY OF LIFE; CITIES; ETHNIC GROUPS; MIGRATION; DISCRIMINATION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Discussion Paper Coordinator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.