Long-Term Earnings Losses due to Job Separation During the 1982 Recession: An Analysis Using Longitudinal Administrative Data from 1974 to 2004
AbstractWe present new estimates of the long-run earnings consequences of job separations that occurred during the 1982 recession based on a representative sample of workers drawn from Social Security administrative earnings data ranging from 1974 to 2005. Workers permanently leaving their long-term employer in the period from 1980 to 1985 experienced large and persistent earnings reductions lasting 15 to 20 years compared to workers of similar age and earnings potential who did not leave their employer. Earnings losses last up to 15 years even for workers displaced in better economic times or after shorter job tenure. These losses arise both due to reductions in employment as well as to reductions in annual earnings for those working. These preliminary estimates appear to confirm results from single U.S. states or limited time periods suggesting that job loss can be very costly for affected workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Columbia University, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 0708-16.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1022 International Affairs Building, 420 West 118th Street, New York, NY 10027
Phone: (212) 854-3680
Fax: (212) 854-8059
Web page: http://www.econ.columbia.edu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raj Chetty & Amy Finkelstein, 2012. "Social Insurance: Connecting Theory to Data," NBER Working Papers 18433, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philip Jung, 2013.
"Earnings losses and labor mobility over the lifecycle,"
2013 Meeting Papers
771, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jung, Philip & Kuhn, Moritz, 2012. "Earnings losses and labor mobility over the life-cycle," MPRA Paper 40287, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jung, Philip & Kuhn, Moritz, 2012. "Earnings Losses and Labor Mobility over the Lifecycle," IZA Discussion Papers 6835, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Johannes F. Schmieder† & Till von Wachter & Stefan Bender, 2011.
"The Effects Of Extended Unemployment Insurance Over The Business Cycle: Evidence From Regression Discontinuity Estimates Over Twenty Years,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2011-063, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Johannes F. Schmieder & Till M. von Wachter & Stefan Bender, 2012. "The Effects of Extended Unemployment Insurance over the Business Cycle: Evidence from Regression Discontinuity Estimates Over Twenty Years," NBER Working Papers 17813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Elsby & Bart Hobjin & Aysegül Sahin, 2010.
"The labor market in the Great Recession,"
Working Paper Series
2010-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Michael W. Elsby & Bart Hobijn & Aysegul Sahin, 2010. "The Labor Market in the Great Recession," NBER Working Papers 15979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bart Hobijn & Aysegul Sahin & Michael Elsby, 2010. "The Labor Market in the Great Recession," 2010 Meeting Papers 323, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christoph Basten & Andreas Fagereng & Kjetil Telle, 2012.
"Saving and portfolio allocation before and after job loss,"
672, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Christoph Basten & Andreas Fagereng & Kjetil Telle, 2012. "Saving and Portfolio Allocation Before and After Job Loss," KOF Working papers 12-298, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Steven J. Davis & Till M. von Wachter, 2011.
"Recessions and the Cost of Job Loss,"
NBER Working Papers
17638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erwan Quintin & Sangeeta Pratap, 2009.
"Financial Crises and Labor Market Turbulence,"
2009 Meeting Papers
744, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Discussion Paper Coordinator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.