Production Sharing and Singapore's Global Competitiveness
AbstractThis chapter investigates the contribution of cross-border production networks to the international competitiveness of a nation’s producers. Cross-border sourcing of components has effects on productivity and efficiency that are very similar to those of technical progress. When a country’s comparative advantage varies across the components of a product, the ability of that product to compete in world markets is improved when components are sourced from lowest-cost suppliers. Parts, components, and accessories play an important role in Singapore’s trade with both less and more advanced countries. This opens opportunities as well as risks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Claremont Colleges in its series Claremont Colleges Working Papers with number 2002-36.
Date of creation: Jul 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 500 E. 9th Street, Claremont, CA 91711
Phone: (909) 607-3041
Fax: (909) 621-8249
Web page: http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/rdschool/papers/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-02-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001.
"Fragmentation in simple trade models,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- Sven W. Arndt, 1998. "Super-Specialization And The Gains From Trade," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(4), pages 480-485, October.
- Sven Arndt, 2000. "Production Networks in an Economically Integrated Region," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-49, Claremont Colleges.
- Arndt, Sven W., 1997. "Globalization and the open economy," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-79.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.