School Size and the Distribution of Test Scores
AbstractAfter forty years of school consolidation, the preponderance of the evidence, including the results presented in this paper, suggest that the race to reap returns to scale and specialization in education may have come at a high price. This paper uses newly available STAR test score data from California to explore the relationship between school size and the distribution of test scores across elementary, middle, and high schools. We find that school size has a statistically significant and economically large impact on school performance. For example, the probability that an average suburban high school is dominated by low scorers rises from 47% to 71% as the school grows from 200 to 800 students per grade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Claremont Colleges in its series Claremont Colleges Working Papers with number 1999-11.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 500 E. 9th Street, Claremont, CA 91711
Phone: (909) 607-3041
Fax: (909) 621-8249
Web page: http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/rdschool/papers/
More information through EDIRC
school size; test scores;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelly Bedard, .
"School Quality and the Distribution of Male Earnings in Canada,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
1999-13, Claremont Colleges.
- Bedard, Kelly, 2003. "School quality and the distribution of male earnings in Canada," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 395-407, August.
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Arnott, Richard & Rowse, John, 1987.
"Peer group effects and educational attainment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 287-305, April.
- Osburn, Donald D, 1970. "Economies of Size Associated with Public High Schools," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(1), pages 113-15, February.
- Brown, Byron W & Saks, Daniel H, 1975. "The Production and Distribution of Cognitive Skills within Schools," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(3), pages 571-93, June.
- Sander, William, 1993. "Expenditures and student achievement in Illinois : New evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 403-416, October.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1092 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bradley, Steve & Taylor, Jim, 1998.
"The Effect of School Size on Exam Performance in Secondary Schools,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(3), pages 291-324, August.
- S Bradley & J Taylor, . "The Effect of School Size on Exam Performance in Secondary Schools," Working Papers cr01/98, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Eide, Eric & Showalter, Mark H., 1998. "The effect of school quality on student performance: A quantile regression approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 345-350, March.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1016 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward P. Lazear, 1999.
NBER Working Papers
7349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corak, Miles & Lauzon, Darren, 2010.
"Differences in the Distribution of High School Achievement: The Role of Class Size and Time-in-Term,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4824, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Corak, Miles & Lauzon, Darren, 2009. "Differences in the distribution of high school achievement: The role of class-size and time-in-term," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 189-198, April.
- Corak, Miles Lauzon, Darren, 2005. "Differences in the Distribution of High School Achievement: The Role of Class Size and Time-in-term," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2005270e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Corak, Miles Lauzon, Darren, 2005. "Differences entre les distributions du rendement scolaire au secondaire : le role de la taille de la classe et du temps d'enseignement," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 2005270f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Friesen, Jane & Krauth, Brian, 2007.
"Sorting and inequality in Canadian schools,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(11-12), pages 2185-2212, December.
- Kelly Bedard & William O. Brown, Jr., . "The Allocation of Public School Expenditures," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-16, Claremont Colleges.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.