Undesirable Outputs and a Primal Divisia Productivity Index Based on the Directional Output Distance Function
AbstractDespite their great popularity, the conventional Divisia productivity indexes all ignore undesirable outputs. The purpose of this study is to Â…fill in this gap by proposing a primal Divisia-type productivity index that is valid in the presence of undesirable outputs. The new productivity index is derived by total differentiation of the directional output distance function with respect to a time trend and referred to as the DivisiaÂ–-Luenberger productivity index. We also empirically compare the Divisia-Luenberger productivity index and a representative of the conventional Divisia productivity indexes - Â—the radial-output-distance-function-based Feng and Serletis (2010) productivity index - using aggregate data on 15 OECD countries over the period 1981Â–-2000. Our empirical results show that failure to take into account undesirable outputs not only leads to misleading rankings of countries both in terms of productivity growth and in terms of technological change, but also results in wrong conclusions concerning efficiency change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Calgary in its series Working Papers with number 2013-15.
Date of creation: 19 Sep 2013
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Byung M. Jeon & Robin C. Sickles, 2004. "The role of environmental factors in growth accounting," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 567-591.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002.
"Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture,"
0201001, EconWPA, revised 06 Jan 2002.
- Fernandez C. & Koop G. & Steel M.F.J., 2002. "Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 432-442, June.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Multiple-output production with undesirable output: An application to nitrogen surplus in agriculture," ESE Discussion Papers 34, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Bert Balk & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & Dimitris Margaritis, 2008. "Exact relations between Luenberger productivity indicators and Malmquist productivity indexes," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 187-190, April.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2011. "Radial and non-radial decompositions of Luenberger productivity indicator with an illustrative application," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 721-726, June.
- Martin, Robert E., 1986. "Externality regulation and the monopoly firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 347-362, April.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
- van den Broeck, Julien & Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1994. "Stochastic frontier models : A Bayesian perspective," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 273-303, April.
- Star, Spencer & Hall, Robert E, 1976. "An Approximate Divisia Index of Total Factor Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 257-63, March.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R, 1980. "The Relative Efficiency of Public and Private Firms in a Competitive Environment: The Case of Canadian Railroads," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 958-76, October.
- Frank Gollop & Gregory P. Swinand, 2001. "Total Resource Productivity. Accounting for Changing Environmental Quality," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 587-608 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ayres, Robert U & Kneese, Allen V, 1969. "Production , Consumption, and Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 282-97, June.
- Kevin J. Fox & W. Erwin Diewert, 2004.
"On the Estimation of Returns to Scale, Technical Progress and Monopolistic Markups,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
310, Econometric Society.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2008. "On the estimation of returns to scale, technical progress and monopolistic markups," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 174-193, July.
- Bert M. Balk, 2005. "Divisia price and quantity indices: 80 years after," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(2), pages 119-158.
- Melvyn A. Fuss, 1994. "Productivity Growth in Canadian Telecommunications," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 371-92, May.
- Pethig, Rudiger, 2006.
"Non-linear production, abatement, pollution and materials balance reconsidered,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 185-204, March.
- Rüdiger Pethig, 2005. "Nonlinear Production, Abatement, Pollution and Materials Balance Reconsidered," CESifo Working Paper Series 1549, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tim J. Coelli & Chris O'Donnell, 2003.
"A Bayesian Approach To Imposing Curvature On Distance Functions,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP032003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Coelli, Timothy J., 2005. "A Bayesian approach to imposing curvature on distance functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 493-523, June.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2010.
"A primal Divisia technical change index based on the output distance function,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 320-330, December.
- Guohua Feng & Apostolos Serletis, 2010. "A Primal Divisia Technical Change Index Based on the Output Distance Function," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Edward R. Morey, 1986. "An Introduction to Checking, Testing, and Imposing Curvature Properties: The True Function and the Estimated Function," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(2), pages 207-35, May.
- Krishna G. Iyer & Alicia N. Rambaldi & Kam Ki Tang, 2008. "Efficiency externalities of trade and alternative forms of foreign investment in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 749-766.
- Trivedi, P K, 1981. "Some Discrete Approximations to Divisia Integral Indices," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 71-77, February.
- Barnett, William A. & Geweke, John & Wolfe, Michael, 1991. "Seminonparametric Bayesian estimation of the asymptotically ideal production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 5-50.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Robert G. Chambers, 2002. "Exact nonradial input, output, and productivity measurement," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 751-765.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (May Ives).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.