Competition Policy and Innovation
AbstractThis paper seeks to improve understanding of the links between innovation and competition policy. It is intended to help OECD Member countries identify ways in which they can design and implement policies that best promote innovation while protecting against anti-competitive behaviour. Special attention is given to the need for firms to co-operate during the innovation process, e.g. by forming joint ventures and by engaging in co-operative standard setting activities, and the special challenges such co-operation poses for competition policy. The paper specifically addresses competition challenges that arise from inter-firm co-operation that aims to commercialise inventions, diffuse innovation more broadly throughout the economy, or extend and elaborate on existing technology. Although the economic principles articulated here apply across the entire economy, the paper focuses attention on the information and communications technology sector, where the opportunities for innovation ... Politique de la concurrence et innovation Ce papier a pour objectif de contribuer Ã une meilleure comprÃ©hension des relations entre innovation et politique de la concurrence afin dâaider les pays-Membres de lâOCDE Ã identifier des orientations pour la conception et la mise en Åuvre de politiques de soutien Ã lâinnovation tout en restreignant les pratiques anti-concurrentielles. Une attention spÃ©ciale est portÃ©e sur les besoins de coopÃ©ration entre firmes au cours du processus dâinnovation, Ã travers notamment la formation de joint ventures ou la dÃ©termination de standards communs, ainsi que sur les enjeux posÃ©s Ã la politique concurrentielle par la coopÃ©ration technologique. Dans cette perspective, ce papier discute spÃ©cifiquement des enjeux liÃ©s Ã la concurrence que soulÃ¨vent les coopÃ©rations inter-firmes ayant pour objectifs la commercialisation des inventions, lâaccroissement de la diffusion des innovations dans lâÃ©conomie, ou encore lâÃ©laboration Ã
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by David K. Levine in its series Levine's Working Paper Archive with number 122247000000000544.
Date of creation: 23 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.dklevine.com/
Other versions of this item:
- Carl Shapiro, 2002. "Competition Policy and Innovation," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2002/11, OECD Publishing.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christine Greenhalgh & Padraig Dixon, 2002.
"The Economics of Intellectual Property: A Review to Identify Themes for Future Research,"
Economics Series Working Papers
135, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Padraig Dixon & Christine Greenhalgh, 2003. "The Economics of Intellectual Property: A Review to Identify Themes for Future Research," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000645, David K. Levine.
- Oecd, 2004. "Patents and Innovation: Trends and Policy Challenges," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000000502, David K. Levine.
- Ren� Belderbos & Leo Sleuwaegen & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2010. "Market Integration and Technological Leadership in Europe," European Economy - Economic Papers 403, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jalles, João Tovar, 2010. "How to measure innovation? New evidence of the technology-growth linkage," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 81-96, June.
- COZZI, Guido & TAROLA, Ornella, 2004. "Mergers, innovation, and inequality," CORE Discussion Papers 2004006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David K. Levine).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.