Challenges for Higher Education in Eritrea In The Post-Independent Period to the Present– A Case of Asmara University
AbstractEritrean higher education faced numerous challenges over many years. It was particularly suffered during the colonial periods. Eritrea exerted its efforts to develop its dilapidated educational system with the advent of its independence. Eritrea celebrated its sixteenth birthday recently. However, the educational challenges in higher education still remain high. The government of Eritrea established different colleges in different administrative regions. The University of Asmara is the only university in the country that had to be revitalized after its devastation by the 30-year war of independence. Since independence, the University has been able to contribute to the nation’s skill manpower considerably. This paper examines higher education of Eritrea for about 60 years period. It delves the University of Asmara and its birth, development and apogee. The paper also gives some insights on recent educational development in Eritrea.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Argentine Center of International Studies in its series Working Papers - Programa Africa with number 014.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Postal: Argentine Center of International Studies, Cafayate 1031, CP: 1408, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Other versions of this item:
- Rena, Ravinder, 2007. "Challenges for higher education in eritrea in the post-independent period to the present – a case of asmara university," MPRA Paper 11160, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A22 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - Undergraduate
- A23 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - Graduate
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education and Research Institutions
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- I22 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Educational Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank, 2002. "Constructing Knowledge Societies : New Challenges for Tertiary Education," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15224.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2005. "Education in Post-Independent Eritrea – A Brief Description," MPRA Paper 10326, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2005.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Higher Education In Africa – A Case Of Eritrea," MPRA Paper 10580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2004. "Gender Disparity in Education – An Eritrean Perspective," MPRA Paper 10315, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariel González).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.