Fragmentation, Outsourcing and the Service Sector
AbstractWe show that the growth of the service sector facilitates outsourcing, or fragmentation of production. Services link production blocks, and allows the breaking up of integrated production. The cost of aggregate service decreases as the number of specialized services increases. A country with a greater number of specialized services tends to export components that are service-intensive. When international trade in specialized services are permitted, the country with an advanced service sector will outsource most of the manufacturing activities. Thus free trade in specialized services tends to increase fragmentation. On the other hand, if there are high transport costs with a bias against complex specialized services, then free trade in specialized services may work against fragmentation. On montre que la croissance du secteur des services facilite la fragmentation de la production. Les services relient les blocs de production et permettent la dispersion de la production intégrée. Un pays possédant un grand nombre de services spécialisés a tendance à exporter les pièces dont la production utilise intensément les services. Avec la libéralisation de l'échange des services, les pays possédant un secteur de services avancé tendent à impartir la fabrication des pièces. Par conséquent, la libéralisation du commerce augmente la fragmentation. Par contre, si les coûts de transport sont élevés pour les services les plus complexes, le libre échange des services spécialisés peut réduire la fragmentation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRANO in its series CIRANO Working Papers with number 2001s-43.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2020 rue University, 25e étage, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2A5
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Fragmentation; outsourcing; service sector; Fragmentation; impartition; secteur des services;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models,"
98-11, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "Fragmentation in simple trade models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- repec:fth:michin:422 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Marc von der Ruhr, 2007.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Producer Services: Theory and Empirical Evidence,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(3), pages 299-321.
- Horst Raff & Marc von der Ruhr, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment in Producer Services: Theory and Empirical Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 598, CESifo Group Munich.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 2001.
"International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 233-48, May.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "International provision of trade services, trade, and fragmentation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2548, The World Bank.
- Deardorff, A.V., 2000. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Working Papers 463, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Richard G. Harris, 1993. "Globalization, Trade, and Income," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 755-76, November.
- Richard G. Harris, 1995. "Trade and Communication Costs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(s1), pages 46-75, November.
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Localization Economies, Vertical Organization, and Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1266-78, December.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994. "Localization Economies, Vertical Organization and Trade," NBER Working Papers 4744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kong Weng Ho & Hian Teck Hoon, 2003. "Service Links and Wage Inequality," Departmental Working Papers wp0301, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Nicholas Sim, 2004. "International production sharing and economic development: moving up the value-chain for a small-open economy," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(14), pages 885-889.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.