Equilibrium Exchange Rates: a Guidebook for the Euro-Dollar Rate
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate different views of equilibrium exchange rates within a single, stock-flow adjustment framework. We then compare FEER and BEER estimations of equilibrium exchange rates based on the same, econometric model of the net foreign asset position, with special focus on the euro-dollar rate. These estimations suggest that, although more robust to alternative assumptions, the BEER approach may rely on excessive confidence on past behaviors in terms of portfolio allocation. Symmetrically, FEERs may underestimate the plasticity of international capital markets because they focus on the adjustment of the trade balance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2008-02.
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Equilibrium exchange rate; Euro-dollar; FEER; BEER; Global imbalances;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-06-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2008-06-07 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2008-06-07 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2008-06-07 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2008-06-07 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Sophie Béreau & Valérie Mignon, 2009. "Robust Estimations Of Equilibrium Exchange Rates Within The G20: A Panel Beer Approach," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(5), pages 608-633, November.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Pascale Duran-Vigneron & Amina Lahrèche-Revil & Mignon, Valerie, 2004. "Burden Sharing and Exchange-Rate Misalignments within the Group of Twenty," Working Papers 2004-13, CEPII research center.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & C. Fred Bergsten & Michael L. Mussa, 1994. "Exchange Rate Policy," NBER Chapters, in: American Economic Policy in the 1980s, pages 293-366 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Sophie Béreau & Valérie Mignon, 2008. "How Robust are Estimated Equilibrium Exchange Rates? A Panel BEER Approach," Working Papers 2008-01, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2009.
"Exchange-Rate Misalignments in Duopoly: the Case of Airbus and Boeing,"
2009-10, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy‐Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2011. "Exchange‐rate Misalignments in Duopoly: The Case of Airbus and Boeing," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 623-641, 04.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2009. "Exchange-Rate Misalignments in Duopoly: The Case of Airbus and Boeing," Kiel Working Papers 1488, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2011. "Exchange-rate Misalignments in Duopoly: The Case of Airbus and Boeing," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00603386, HAL.
- GUISAN, Maria-Carmen, 2009. "Real Exchange Rate Euro-Dollar And Foreign Trade Balance: Analysis Of Spain, Germany And France In Comparison With The Usa. 1960-2007," Economic Development 100, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- Minoas Koukouritakis & Nikolaos Giannellis, .
"Behavioural Equilibrium Exchange Rate and Total Misalignment: Evidence from the Euro Exchange Rate,"
0901, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Minoas Koukouritakis, 2011. "Behavioural equilibrium exchange rate and total misalignment: evidence from the euro exchange rate," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 555-578, November.
- Sophie Béreau & Antonia Lopez Villavicencio & Valérie Mignon, 2008.
"Nonlinear Adjustment of the Real Exchange Rate Towards its Equilibrium Value: a Panel Smooth Transition Error Correction Modelling,"
2008-23, CEPII research center.
- Béreau, Sophie & Villavicencio, Antonia López & Mignon, Valérie, 2010. "Nonlinear adjustment of the real exchange rate towards its equilibrium value: A panel smooth transition error correction modelling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 404-416, January.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Sophie Béreau & Valérie Mignon, 2009.
"The Dollar in the Turmoil,"
2009-08, CEPII research center.
- Bénassy-Quéré, Agnès & Béreau, Sophie & Mignon, Valérie, 2009. "The dollar in the turmoil," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 427-436, December.
- Bineau, Yannick, 2010. "Renminbi's misalignment: A meta-analysis," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 259-269, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.