Optimal Fractional Dickey-Fuller Tests for Unit Roots
AbstractThis article studies the fractional Dickey- Fuller (FDF) test for unit roots recently introduced by Dolado, Gonzalo and Mayoral (2002). Apart from the analogy with the Dickey-Fuller test, the main motivation for their method relies on simulations since these authors do not provide any justification for their particular implementation of the FDF test. In order to give additional rationale to the test, we frame the FDF test in a model where a nuisance or auxiliary parameter is not identified under the null hypothesis. Within this framework we investigate optimality aspects of the class of tests indexed by this auxiliary parameter and show that the test proposed by these authors is not optimal. In addition, we propose feasible FDF tests with good asymptotic and finite sample properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM in its series Working Papers with number 0401.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Velasco, Carlos, 1999. "Non-stationary log-periodogram regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 325-371, August.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Peter M Robinson & Carlos Velasco, 2000. "Whittle Pseudo-Maximum Likelihood Estimation for Nonstationary Time Series - (Now published in Journal of the American Statistical Association, 95, (2000), pp.1229-1243.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/391, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Velasco, Carlos, 2005. "Sign tests for long-memory time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 215-251, October.
- Juan J. Dolado & Jesús Gonzalo & Laura Mayoral, 2005. "Testing I(1) against I(d) alternatives in the presence of deteministic components," Economics Working Papers 957, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Juan Jose Dolado & Jesus Gonzalo & Laura Mayoral, 2008. "Simple Wald tests of the fractional integration parameter : an overview of new results," Economics Working Papers we20080129, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Dominguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.