Does a hospitals quality depend on the quality of other hospitals? A spatial econometrics approach to investigating hospital quality competition
AbstractWe examine whether a hospitals quality is affected by the quality provided by other hospitals in the same market. We first set out a theoretical model with regulated prices which specifies conditions on demand and cost functions which determine whether a hospital will have higher quality when its rivals have higher quality. We then apply spatial econometric methods to a sample of English hospitals in 2009-10 and a set of 16 quality measures including mortality rates, readmission, revision and redo rates and three patient reported indicators to examine to examine the relationship between the quality of hospitals. We find that a hospitals quality is positively associated with the quality of its rivals for seven out of the sixteen quality measures and that in no case is there a negative association. In those cases where there is a positive association, an increase in rivals quality by 10% increases a hospitals quality by 1.7% to 2.9%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Health Economics, University of York in its series Working Papers with number 082cherp.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Quality; regulated prices; hospitals; competition; spatial econometrics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- L3 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2013-02-08 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2013-02-08 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HEA-2013-02-08 (Health Economics)
- NEP-URE-2013-02-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burns, Lawton R. & Wholey, Douglas R., 1992. "The impact of physician characteristics in conditional choice models for hospital care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 43-62, May.
- Mobley, Lee R & Frech, Ted E & Anselin, Luc, 2008.
"Spatial Interaction, Spatial Multipliers, and Hospital Competition,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt4m8862hd, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Lee Mobley & H. E. Frech & Luc Anselin, 2009. "Spatial Interaction, Spatial Multipliers and Hospital Competition," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2008.
"Hospital competition and quality with regulated prices,"
NIPE Working Papers
06/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2011. "Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113, pages 444-469, 06.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009. "Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices," CESifo Working Paper Series 2635, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hugh Gravelle & Peter Sivey, .
"Imperfect quality information in a quality-competitive hospital market,"
09/09, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Hugh Gravelle & Peter Sivey, 2009. "Imperfect Quality Information in a Quality-Competitive Hospital Market," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2009n05, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Hugh Gravelle & Rita Santos & Luigi Siciliani & Rosalind Goudie, 2012. "Hospital Quality Competition Under Fixed Prices," Working Papers 080cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2010.
"Death by Market Power. Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
10/242, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2010. "Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," NBER Working Papers 16164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaynor, Martin & Moreno-Serra, Rodrigo & Propper, Carol, 2011. "Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," CEPR Discussion Papers 8203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006.
"What Do We know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
06/151, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006. "What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," NBER Working Papers 12301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor, . "What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E62, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Daniel P. Kessler & Mark B. McClellan, 2000. "Is Hospital Competition Socially Wasteful?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 577-615, May.
- Zack Cooper & Steve Gibbons & Simon Jones & Alistair McGuire, 2010.
"Does Hospital Competition Save Lives? Evidence from the English NHS Patient Choice Reforms,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0041, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Zack Cooper & Stephen Gibbons & Simon Jones & Alistair McGuire, 2011. "Does Hospital Competition Save Lives? Evidence From The English NHS Patient Choice Reforms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(554), pages F228-F260, 08.
- Ching-to Ma & James Burgess, 1993.
"Quality competition, welfare, and regulation,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 58(2), pages 153-173, June.
- Martin Gaynor & Robert J. Town, 2011. "Competition in Health Care Markets," NBER Working Papers 17208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mobley, Lee R., 2003. "Estimating hospital market pricing: an equilibrium approach using spatial econometrics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 489-516, July.
- Nazmi Sari, 2002. "Do competition and managed care improve quality?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(7), pages 571-584.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.