Hospital Financing and the Development and Adoption of New Technologies
AbstractWe study the influence of different reimbursement systems, namely Prospective Payment System, Cost Based Reimbursement System and Mixed Reimbursement System on the development and adoption of different technologies with an endogenous supply of these technologies. We focus our analysis on technology development and adoption under two models: private R&D and R&D within the hospital. One of the major findings is that the optimal reimbursement system is a pure Prospective Payment System or a Mixed Reimbursement System depending on the market structure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Health Economics, University of York in its series Working Papers with number 026cherp.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Prospective Payment System; Cost Based Reimbursement; R&D;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2008-02-16 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IPR-2008-02-16 (Intellectual Property Rights)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan, 1996. "The Determinants of Technological Change in Heart Attack Treatment," NBER Working Papers 5751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan & Joseph P. Newhouse, 1998. "Prices and Productivity in Managed Care Insurance," NBER Working Papers 6677, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romeo, Anthony A. & Wagner, Judith L. & Lee, Robert H., 1984. "Prospective reimbursement and the diffusion of new technologies in hospitals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1992. "Medical Care Costs: How Much Welfare Loss?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan & Joseph P. Newhouse & Dahlia Remler, 1996. "Are Medical Prices Declining?," NBER Working Papers 5750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seungchul Lee & Robert Rosenman, 2013.
"Reimbursement and Investment: Prospective Payment and For-Profit Hospitals’ Market Share,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 503-518, December.
- Seungchul Lee & Robert Rosenman, 2012. "Reimbursement and Investment: Propsective Payment and For-Profit Hospitals' Market Share," Working Papers 2012-3, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Finocchiaro Castro, Massimo & Guccio, Calogero & Pignataro, Giacomo & Rizzo, Ilde, 2014. "The effects of reimbursement mechanisms on medical technology diffusion in the hospital sector in the Italian NHS," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 215-229.
- Barros, Pedro Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 2010.
"Technological adoption in health care,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp545, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 2009. "Technological adoption in health care," CEPR Discussion Papers 7558, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2009. "Technological adoption in health care," Working Papers 413, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2009. "Technological adoption in health care," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 790.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.