Teaching business in Tanzania: Evaluating participation and performance
AbstractThere is increased awareness that success among small scale entrepreneurs in developing countries requires more than microfinance, and that an important limiting factor for business growth is the level of human capital among the entrepreneurs. The present paper uses a randomized control trial to evaluate a business training program in Tanzania. Our results show that there is a positive average treatment effect on business knowledge. It also appears that training has a stronger effect on the entrepreneurs with less formal education. Paradoxically, these entrepreneurs are also less consistent in their participation in the training program. An important implication from our study is therefore that when providing business training, special care should be given to ensure high participation rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway in its series CMI Working Papers with number 9.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Microcredit Small enterprises Business training Evaluation Tanzania;
Other versions of this item:
- Kjetil Bjorvatn & Bertil Tungodden, 2010. "Teaching Business in Tanzania: Evaluating Participation and Performance," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 561-570, 04-05.
- C93 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Field Experiments
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Honorati, Maddalena, 2013.
"Entrepreneurship programs in developing countries : a meta regression analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6402, The World Bank.
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Honorati, Maddalena, 2013. "Entrepreneurship programs in developing countries : a meta regression analysis," Social Protection Discussion Papers 77168, The World Bank.
- Cho, Yoon Y. & Honorati, Maddalena, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Programs in Developing Countries: A Meta Regression Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 7333, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Higuchi, Yuki & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2012.
"Productivity growth and job creation in the development process of industrial clusters,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6280, The World Bank.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & Yuki Higuchi & Keijiro Otsuka, 2012. "Productivity Growth and Job Creation in the Development Process of Industrial Clusters," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-22, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & Keijiro Otsuka, 2012. "The Role of Training in Fostering Cluster-Based MSE Development," GRIPS Discussion Papers 12-14, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2012. "The Role of Training in Fostering Cluster-Based Micro and Small Enterprises Development," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Seshan, Ganesh & Yang, Dean, 2014.
"Motivating migrants: A field experiment on financial decision-making in transnational households,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 119-127.
- Ganesh Seshan & Dean Yang, 2014. "Motivating Migrants: A Field Experiment on Financial Decision-Making in Transnational Households," NBER Working Papers 19805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yukichi Mano & John Akoten & Yutaka Yoshino & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2013. "Teaching KAIZEN to Small Business Owners: An Experiment in a Metalworking Cluster in Nairobi," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-06, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Espen Villanger, 2012. "Caste discrimination and barriers to microenterprise growth in Nepal," CMI Working Papers 9, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Sjursen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.