Global Securitized Real Estate Benchmarks and Performance
AbstractChoosing an appropriate benchmark is not unproblematic for academics or practitioners. Index construction methodologies vary from index to index as tradeoffs are made between the breadth of market coverage and the investability of the securities in the index. This paper examines the nuances between the most commonly used global securitized real estate benchmarks. A comparison of their construction methodologies, returns, and risk is performed, and the correlations between the various benchmarks are assessed. The composition of global securitized real estate markets is also analyzed. We conclude that the GPR General Property Share Index and the S&P/Citigroup World Property Index are more appropriate to examine the performance of the market as a whole, while the GPR 250 Property Share Index and the FTSE EPRA/NAREIT Global Real Estate Index are better suited to evaluate portfolio performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Finance Institute in its series Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series with number 08-39.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Global Securitized Real Estate; REITs; Benchmark; Index Characteristics; Performance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R33 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Nonagricultural and Nonresidential Real Estate Markets
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kroencke, Tim Alexander & Schindler, Felix, 2011.
"International diversification with securitized real estate and the veiling glare from currency risk,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-012, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kroencke, Tim A. & Schindler, Felix, 2012. "International diversification with securitized real estate and the veiling glare from currency risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1851-1866.
- Schindler, Felix & Kröncke, Tim-Alexander, 2011. "International Diversification with Securitized Real Estate and the Veiling Glare from Currency Risk," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48705, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser & Roca, Eduardo, 2011. "How globally contagious was the recent US real estate market crisis? Evidence based on a new contagion test," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2560-2565.
- Lawrence Fisher & Daniel G. Weaver & Gwendolyn Webb, 2012. "Removing Biases in Computed Returns: An Analysis of Bias in Equally-Weighted Return Indexes of REITs," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 15(1), pages 43-71.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Eduardo Roca, 2010. "The Impact of the US Real Estate Market on Other Major Markets During Normal and Crisis Periods," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201003, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.