A Reassessment of Flexible Price Evidence Using Scanner Data: Evidence from an Emerging Economy
AbstractIn this paper we use a new database of scanner-level prices for the Chilean economy to characterize the microeconomic behavior of prices during a period of high inflation. We are able to characterize the price-setting behavior by supermarket chain. The evidence indicates that there is significant heterogeneity in the pricing behavior of individual retailers. Analyzing the source of shocks, results show that even though chain-specific shocks account for a sizable fraction of the observed variation, common (i.e. countrywide) shocks to individual goods and product categories are the most important factors to explain the behavior of prices. In other words, the pricing strategy of retailers seems less important in developing countries to explain microeconomic price dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 641.
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Gastón Chaumont & Miguel Fuentes & Felipe Labbé & Alberto Naudón, 2011. "A Reassesment of Flexible Price Evidence Using Scanner Data: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 632, Central Bank of Chile.
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-09-05 (Central Banking)
- NEP-COM-2011-09-05 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2011-09-05 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emi Nakamura, 2008.
"Pass-Through in Retail and Wholesale,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 430-37, May.
- Rod Little & Sonya Vartivarian, 2004. "Does Weighting for Nonresponse Increase the Variance of Survey Means?," The University of Michigan Department of Biostatistics Working Paper Series 1034, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Ivan Faiella & Romina Gambacorta, 2007. "The Weighting Process in the SHIW," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 636, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- David Bravo & Jere R. Behrman & Olivia s. Mitchell & Petra E. Todd. & Javiera Vásquez, 2008. "Encuesta de protección social 2006: Presentación general y principales resultados," Working Papers wp273, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Roderick J.A. Little & Sonya Vartivarian, 2005. "Does Weighting for Nonresponse Increase the Variance of Survey Means?," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 4937, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Jaime Ruiz-Tagle & Francis Vella, 2010. "Borrowing Constraints and Credit Demand," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 578, Central Bank of Chile.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1999. "Asymptotic Properties of Weighted M-Estimators for Variable Probability Samples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1385-1406, November.
- Andrés Sagner, 2009. "Determinantes del Precio de Viviendas en Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 549, Central Bank of Chile.
- Juan Pablo Medina & David Rappoport & Claudio Soto, 2007.
"Dynamics of Price Adjustments: Evidence From Micro Level Data for Chile,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
432, Central Bank of Chile.
- Juan Pablo Medina G. & David Rappoport W. & Claudio Soto G., 2007. "Dynamics of Price Adjustments: Evidence From Micro Level Data For Chile," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 10(2), pages 5-26, August.
- Fernando Borraz & Leandro Zipitria, 2011.
"Price Setting in Retailing: the Case of Uruguay,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0211, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Natalia Gallardo & Roberto Stein, 2010. "The Determinants of Household Debt Defa," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 574, Central Bank of Chile.
- Roderick J. Little & Sonya Vartivarian, 2005. "Does Weighting for Nonresponse Increase the Variance of Survey Means?," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 4780, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Fisher, Timothy C. G. & Konieczny, Jerzy D., 2000. "Synchronization of price changes by multiproduct firms: evidence from Canadian newspaper prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 271-277, September.
- Borraz, Fernando & Zipitría, Leandro, 2010.
"Price Setting in Retailing: the Case of Uruguay,"
27712, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gastón Chaumont & Miguel Fuentes & Felipe Labbé & Alberto Naudon, 2011. "Dinámica de Precios en Chile: Evidencia con datos de Supermercados," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 642, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.