Proyección Agregada y Desagregada del PIB Chileno con Procedimientos Automatizados de Series de Tiempo
AbstractThis paper compares the out-of-sample error of two forecasting methods for Chile’s GDP. The first method forecasts the aggregate GDP, while the second aggregates the forecasts of the supply-side components. As forecasting method we use the automatic model selection contained in the seasonal adjustment program X12-ARIMA version 0.2.10. Our sample includes the information contained in the first data release until 2009.I. For the whole sample, this paper finds no significant difference between both methods, according to tests commonly used in this literature. However, in periods of low GDP volatility the aggregate method performs better in terms of root mean squared error, while the disaggregate approach outperforms the aggregate one in periods of high GDP volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 577.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clements,Michael & Hendry,David, 1998.
"Forecasting Economic Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521634809.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Marcus Cobb, 2009. "Forecasting Chilean Inflation From Disaggregate Components," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 545, Central Bank of Chile.
- Carlos Medel, 2012.
"How Informative are In–Sample Information Criteria to Forecasting? The Case of Chilean GDP,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
657, Central Bank of Chile.
- Carlos A. Medel, 2013. "How informative are in-sample information criteria to forecasting? The case of Chilean GDP," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 50(1), pages 133-161, May.
- Medel, Carlos A., 2012. "How informative are in-sample information criteria to forecasting? the case of Chilean GDP," MPRA Paper 35949, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.