Monetary Policy Under Uncertainty and Learning: An Overview
AbstractCentral banks must make policy decisions in the face of uncertainty based on imperfect and evolving knowledge about the economy. While few general results have emerged from the research on monetary policy in the face of uncertainty and learning, a key lesson is that neither uncertainty nor learning can be ignored. This paper selectively reviews the literature on uncertainty and learning, specifically on the insights that are important for the conduct of monetary policy. Then it surveys the new research presented at the latest annual conference of the Central Bank of Chile, which uncovered recent theoretical results and empirical evidence for developed countries and the Chilean economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 509.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Carl E. Walsh, 2009. "Monetary Policy under Uncertainty and Learning: An Overview," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Carl E. Walsh & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series (ed.), Monetary Policy under Uncertainty and Learning, edition 1, volume 13, chapter 1, pages 001-025 Central Bank of Chile.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel D. & Carl E. Walsh., 2008. "Monetary Policy Under Uncertainty and Learning: An Overview," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(3), pages 5-19, December.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaushik Mitra & George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 2011.
"Policy Change and Learning in the RBC Model,"
CDMA Working Paper Series
201111, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Evans, George W. & Honkapohja, Seppo & Mitra, Kaushik, 2012. "Policy Change and Learning in the RBC Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 8892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mitra , Kaushik & Evans , George W. & Honkapohja , Seppo, 2011. "Policy change and learning in the RBC model," Research Discussion Papers 22/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel., 2009. "Inflation Targeting Twenty Years on: Where, When, Why, With what Effects, What lies ahead?," Documentos de Trabajo 360, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- repec:fip:fedreq:y:2011:i:2q:p:111-131:n:vol.97no.2 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.