Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Open Economies: The Experience of Chile in the Nineties
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical characterization of the conduct of monetary policy in a small open economy. In particular, using as a case study the Chilean inflation-targeting experience of the nineties, we assess the roles of the exchange rate and output in the determination of the policy interest rate. We conclude that Chile adopted a gradual approach to targeting inflation. This means, in practice, that the central bank modified its policy instrument —the interest rate— whenever expected inflation deviated from its target, but with some concern about output. In this context, we find evidence that the monetary authorities also reacted to real exchange rate misalignments. This reaction was comparatively larger than the one found in developed economies. Finally, the evidence, although not conclusive, suggests that there was a non-linear response to exchange rate misalignments: the central bank reacted more strongly to large deviations than to small ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 272.
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBA-2004-11-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2004-11-07 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IFN-2004-11-07 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2004-11-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2004-11-07 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oscar Landerretche & Felipe Morandé & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbe, 1999. "Inflation Targets and Stabilization in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 55, Central Bank of Chile.
- John B. Taylor, 2001. "The Role of the Exchange Rate in Monetary-Policy Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 263-267, May.
- Woodford, Michael, 1999. "Optimal monetary policy inertia," CFS Working Paper Series 1999/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Richard Clarida, 2001.
"The Empirics of Monetary Policy Rules in Open Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
8603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard H, 2001. "The Empirics of Monetary Policy Rules in Open Economies," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 315-23, October.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro Werner, 2002.
"Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
171, Central Bank of Chile.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro M. Werner, 2002. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Woodford, Michael, 1999.
"Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia,"
University of Manchester, vol. 67(0), pages 1-35, Supplemen.
- Michael Woodford, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia," NBER Working Papers 7261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Woodford, M., 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia.," Papers 666, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Woodford, Michael, 2000. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia," Seminar Papers 666, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Favero, Carlo A., 2001. "Applied Macroeconometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296850.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Tapia, Matias, 2002. "Inflation targeting in Chile," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 125-146, August.
- Eric Parrado, 2004. "Inflation Targeting and Exchange Rate Rules in an Open Economy," IMF Working Papers 04/21, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.