Determinantes del Crecimiento y Estimación del Producto Potencial en Chile: El Rol del Comercio
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to determine the sources of Chilean growth in the 1960-96 period. Particularly, we seek to quantify the contribution of increased trade on growth. We also estimate potential output for the Chilean economy in the aforementioned period. The main results are that the Chilean economy has grown at an annual rate of 3,9% between 1960 and 1996. Although the contributions of each factor to growth have changed during these 37 years, on average, 1,6% of growth is explained by capital and 3,9% by labor. The contribution of trade is only significative in the eighties, consisting of approximately 1,5 percentage points for the 1986-96 period. The potential growth rate has been 6,5% during the nineties, increasing from 6,0% in 1990 to 7,0% in 1996. Hence, the economy has evolved around the productive frontier. Medium term projections show that with the actual levels of domestic savings, the continuity of growth at 7,0% annual rates will require superior levels of foreign saving than what is actually available, or alternatively, policies that promote saving or factor productivity growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 24.
Date of creation: Oct 1997
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabriel Contreras & Pablo García, 2002.
"Estimating Gaps and Trends for the Chilean Economy,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Economic Growth: Sources, Trends, and Cycles, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 15, pages 523-554
Central Bank of Chile.
- Gabriela Contreras M. & Pablo García S., 2002. "Estimating Gaps and Trends for the Chilean Economy," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 5(2), pages 37-55, August.
- Gabriela Contreras M & Pablo García S, 2002. "Estimating Gaps and Trends for the Chilean Economy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 165, Central Bank of Chile.
- Guillermo Le Fort & Sergio Lehmann, 2000. "El Encaje, los Flujos de Capitales y el Gasto: Una Evaluación empírica," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 64, Central Bank of Chile.
- J. Rodrigo Fuentes, 2011. "Una Mirada Desagregada del Deterioro de la Productividad en Chile: ¿Existe un Cambio Estructural?," Documentos de Trabajo 401, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.