Value at Risk: Teoría y Aplicaciones
AbstractThis article describes the Value at Risk concept, popularized during the last ten or fifteen years, presenting applications on stocks, bonds, interest and exchange rate forward contracts, and swaps. We applied asymmetric GARCH methodologies over Chilean stock indexes to enhance our risk evaluation performance. Liquidity adjusted Value at Risk methodologies for individual and multiple asset portfolios are discussed. To conclude, we applied this methodology to evaluate the performance in three Chilean financial institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 136.
Date of creation: Jan 2002
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2002-02-15 (International Finance)
- NEP-PKE-2002-02-15 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanford J. Grossman & Merton H. Miller, 1989.
"Liquidity and Market Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
2641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia Jackson & David Maude & William Perraudin, 1998. "Bank Capital and Value at Risk," Bank of England working papers 79, Bank of England.
- Christian A. Johnson, 2000.
"Un Modelo de Intervención Cambiaria,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
90, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & James O'Brien, 2001. "How accurate are Value-at-Risk models at commercial banks?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-31, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hols, Martien C A B & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "The Limiting Distribution of Extremal Exchange Rate Returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 287-302, July-Sept.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Anil Bangia & Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann & John D. Stroughair, 1998.
"Modeling Liquidity Risk With Implications for Traditional Market Risk Measurement and Management,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-062, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Anil Bangia & Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann & John D. Stroughair, 1998. "Modeling Liquidity Risk, With Implications for Traditional Market Risk Measurement and Management," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Huang, Roger D & Stoll, Hans R, 1997. "The Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: A General Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 995-1034.
- Engle, Robert F. & Manganelli, Simone, 2001. "Value at risk models in finance," Working Paper Series 0075, European Central Bank.
- Solange Berstein & Rómulo Chumacero, 2005. "Cuantificación de los Costos de los Limites de Inversión para los Fondos de Pensiones Chilenos," Working Papers 3, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Apr 2005.
- Greg Brunner & Richard Hinz & Roberto Rocha, 2008. "Risk-based Supervision of Pension Funds : Emerging Practices and Challenges," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6419, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.