Austrian Approach to the 3rd Duty of the Sovereign in the Wealth of Nations
AbstractEconomists seem quasi unanimous about the fact that Adam Smith would have had the intuition of the existence of public goods and market failures. Musgrave-1985, among others, perfectly summarizes this widely held position in modern economic thought. In a normative sense, Smith would have entrusted their production to the government and their supply would constitute precisely the 3rd duty of the sovereign in the Wealth of Nations. However, Smith – as Austrian economists since Menger – was mainly interested in the role of institutions in the economy. An institutional approach to the 3rd duty of the sovereign – consisting in the establishment of property rights on public works and in the incorporation of joint stock companies – allows us to reconcile Smith thought with the laissez-faire tradition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Aix-Marseille Université, CERGAM in its series CAE Working Papers with number 21.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Clos Guiot Puyricard - CS 30063, 13089 Aix en Provence Cedex 2
Phone: 04 42 28 12 08
Fax: +33 (0)4 42 28 08 00
Web page: http://www.univ-cae.org
More information through EDIRC
Adam Smith; public goods; externalities; institutions; laissez-faire;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B12 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Classical (includes Adam Smith)
- H1 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coase, R H, 1977. "The Wealth of Nations," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(3), pages 309-25, July.
- Coase, R H, 1974. "The Lighthouse in Economics," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 357-76, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mathieu Bédard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.