Mobile Phones and Economic Development in Africa
AbstractWe examine the growth of mobile phone technology over the past decade and consider its potential impacts upon quality of life in low-income countries, with a particular focus on sub-Saharan Africa. We first provide an overview of the patterns and determinants of mobile phone coverage in sub-Saharan Africa before describing the characteristics of primary and secondary mobile phone adopters on the continent. We then discuss the channels through which mobile phone technology can impact development outcomes, both as a positive externality of the communication sector and as part of mobile phone-based development projects, and analyze existing evidence. While current research suggests that mobile phone coverage and adoption have had positive impacts on agricultural and labor market efficiency and welfare in certain countries, empirical evidence is still somewhat limited. In addition, mobile phone technology cannot serve as the “silver bullet” for development in sub-Saharan Africa. Careful impact evaluations of mobile phone development projects are required to better understand their impacts upon economic and social outcomes, and mobile phone technology must work in partnership with other public good provision and investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Development in its series Working Papers with number 211.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cgdev.org
growth; economic development; poverty; income distribution; mobile phones; technology; sub-Saharan Africa;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2010-08-28 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-08-28 (Development)
- NEP-ICT-2010-08-28 (Information & Communication Technologies)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- PENARD Thierry & POUSSING Nicolas & ZOMO YEBE Gabriel & NSI ELLA Philémon, 2012. "Usage d'Internet et du téléphone mobile en Afrique : une comparaison des déterminants d'adoption sur données gabonaises," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2012-15, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Staatz, John M. & Kizito, Andrew M. & Weber, Michael T. & Dembele, Niama Nango, 2011. "Evaluating the Impact on Market Performance of Investments in Market Information Systems: Methodological Challenges," Staff Papers 108184, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Asongu Simplice, 2013.
"The impact of mobile phone penetration on African inequality,"
13/021, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Asongu, Simplice A, 2012. "The impact of mobile phone penetration on African inequality," MPRA Paper 46041, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Apr 2013.
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012. "New indicators for the mobile banking nexus," MPRA Paper 38575, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jenny Aker & Christopher Ksoll, 2012. "Information Technology and Farm Households in Niger," Working Papers 2012-005, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa (UNDP/RBA).
- Thierry Pénard & Nicolas Poussing & Gabriel Zomo Yebe & Philémon Nsi Ella, 2012.
"Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa : Evidence from Gabon,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
201217, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Thierry PENARD & Nicolas POUSSING & Gabriel ZOMO YEBE & Philémon NSI ELLA, 2012. "Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa: Evidence from Gabon," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 2(86), pages 65-83, 2nd quart.
- Arvind Subramanian & Martin Kessler, 2013. "The Hyperglobalization of Trade and Its Future," Working Paper Series WP13-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Thorsten Beck & Samuel Munzele Maimbo & Issa Faye & Thouraya Triki, 2011.
"Financing Africa : Through the Crisis and Beyond,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2355.
- Lee, Kyeong Ho & Bellemare, Marc F., 2012.
"Look who's talking: the impacts of the intrahousehold allocation of mobile phones on agricultural prices,"
38908, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kyeong Ho Lee & Marc F. Bellemare, 2013. "Look Who's Talking: The Impacts of the Intrahousehold Allocation of Mobile Phones on Agricultural Prices," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 49(5), pages 624-640, May.
- Asongu Simplice, 2012.
"How has Mobile Phone Penetration Stimulated Financial Development in Africa?,"
12/026, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012. "How has Mobile Phone Penetration Stimulated Financial Development in Africa?," MPRA Paper 41198, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mittal, Surabhi & Mehar, Mamta, 0. "How Mobile Phones Contribute to Growth of Small Farmers? Evidence from India," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 51.
- Kizito, Andrew M. & Donovan, Cynthia & Staatz, John M., 2012. "Impact of Agricultural Market Information Systems Activities on Market Performance in Mozambique," Food Security International Development Papers 152396, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Aker, Jenny C. & Clemens, Michael A. & Ksoll, Christopher, 2011. "Mobiles and mobility: The Effect of Mobile Phones on Migration in Niger," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 2, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Dean Karlan & Aishwarya Lakshmi Ratan & Jonathan Zinman, 2013. "Savings by and for the Poor: A Research Review and Agenda," Working Papers 1027, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012.
"How has mobile banking stimulated financial development in Africa?,"
38576, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asongu Simplice, 2012. "How has Mobile Banking Stimulated Financial Development in Africa?," Working Papers 12/027, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Balwant Singh Mehta, 2013. "Capabilities, costs, networks and innovations: impact of mobile phones in rural India," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series ctg-2013-29, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Patrick Nussbaumer & Francesco Fuso Nerini & Ijeoma Onyeji & Mark Howells, 2013. "Global Insights Based on the Multidimensional Energy Poverty Index (MEPI)," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(5), pages 2060-2076, May.
- Mittal, Surabhi, 2012. "Modern ICT for Agricultural Development and Risk Management in Smallholder Agriculture in India," Socioeconomics Program Working Papers 147107, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Roodman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.