Optimal Control and Resources
AbstractNecessary and sufficient conditions from optimal control theory that are typically used when studying finite and infinite horizon natural resource economics problems are stated. In the finite horizon case their use is demonstrated by deriving an explicit solution of a model describing the optimal cleanup of a hazardous stock. In the infinite horizon case a qualitative characterization of the solution of a renewable resource extraction problem is achieved by employing a phase diagram. Complementary techniques such as comparative dynamics and dynamic envelope results are also employed in order to demonstrate how to extract the maximum amount of information from natural resource economics problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Central Florida, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2011-07.
Length: 31 Pages
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
optimal control theory; necessary conditions; sufficient conditions; transversality conditions; comparative dynamics; dynamic envelope theorem; phase diagram;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olli Tahvonen, 1991. "On the dynamics of renewable resource harvesting and pollution control," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 97-117, March.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992.
"Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465, December.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586, December.
- Barrett, Scott, 1991. "Optimal soil conservation and the reform of agricultural pricing policies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 167-187, October.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Barney, L. Dwayne, 1991. "The envelope theorem in dynamic optimization," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 355-385, April.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1990. "A qualitative characterization of the competitive nonrenewable resource extracting firm," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 206-226, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Paul).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.