High-frequency Contagion between the Exchange Rates and Stock Prices during the Asian Currency Crisis
AbstractThis paper analyzes the co-movement of the exchange rates and the stock prices from the viewpoint of contagion among the eight countries in the region during the period of Asian currency crisis, 1997-1999. Ito and Hashimoto (2002; NBER working paper) proposed a new definition of high-frequency contagion, impacts from the crisis origin country to another country, using daily exchange rate data. This paper extends the idea to including the crisis origins in the stock market that are identified separately from the crisis origins in the foreign exchange markets.. Then contagion is defined not only among the exchange rates and stock prices separately, but also between an exchange rate and a stock price of the same country or of different countries. We use a friction model and a Tobit model to analyze the impact of a negative shock in one asset price to others. It is found, among others, that there was, in general, the contagion between the exchange rates and stock prices; that the stock prices in Hong Kong were found to suffer from contagious effects from the decline in the Asian currencies; and that Indonesian, Korean and Thai currency depreciation and Hong Kong stock price declines had impacts on other currencies and stock prices in the region during the crisis period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo in its series CARF J-Series with number CARF-J-009.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2005
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas J. Flavin and Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2007.
"Detecting Shift and Pure Contagion in East Asian Equity Markets: A Unified Approach,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- ThomasJ. Flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2010. "Detecting Shift And Pure Contagion In East Asian Equity Markets: A Unified Approach," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 401-421, 08.
- Thomas J. flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2008. "Detecting shift and pure contagion in East Asian equity markets: A Unified Approach," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1890208.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Flavin, Thomas J. & Panopoulou, Ekaterini & Unalmis, Deren, 2008.
"On the stability of domestic financial market linkages in the presence of time-varying volatility,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 280-301, December.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou & Deren Unalmis, 2008. "On the stability of domestic financial market linkages in the presence of time-varying volatility," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1981108.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou & Deren Unalmis, 2008. "On the Stability of Domestic Financial Market Linkages in the Presence of time-varying Volatility," Working Papers 0810, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.