On the Optimal Super- and Sub-Hedging Strategies
AbstractThis paper proposes optimal super-hedging and sub-hedging strategies for a derivative on two underlying assets without any specification of the underlying processes. Moreover, the strategies are free from any model of the dependency between the underlying asset prices. We derive the optimal pricing bounds by finding a joint distribution under which the derivative price is equal to the hedging portfolio's value; the portfolio consists of liquid derivatives on each of the underlying assets. As examples, we obtain new super-hedging and sub-hedging strategies for several exotic options such as quanto options, exchange options, basket options, forward starting options, and knock-out options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo in its series CARF F-Series with number CARF-F-300.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision: Aug 2013
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-06 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Umberto Cherubini & Elisa Luciano, 2002. "Multivariate Option Pricing with Copulas," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 05-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- David Hobson & Peter Laurence & Tai-Ho Wang, 2005. "Static-arbitrage upper bounds for the prices of basket options," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 329-342.
- Chung, San-Lin & Wang, Yaw-Huei, 2008. "Bounds and prices of currency cross-rate options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 631-642, May.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Laurence, Peter & Wang, Tai-Ho, 2009. "Sharp distribution free lower bounds for spread options and the corresponding optimal subreplicating portfolios," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 35-47, February.
- Haydyn Brown & David Hobson & L. C. G. Rogers, 2001. "Robust Hedging of Barrier Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 285-314.
- Hobson, David & Laurence, Peter & Wang, Tai-Ho, 2005. "Static-arbitrage optimal subreplicating strategies for basket options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 553-572, December.
- David G. Hobson, 1998. "Robust hedging of the lookback option," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 329-347.
- Jan Baldeaux & Marek Rutkowski, 2010. "Static Replication of Forward-Start Claims and Realized Variance Swaps," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 99-131.
- Chen, X. & Deelstra, G. & Dhaene, J. & Vanmaele, M., 2008. "Static super-replicating strategies for a class of exotic options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1067-1085, June.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.