A Remark on Approximation of the Solutions to Partial Differential Equations in Finance
AbstractThis paper proposes a general approximation method for the solution to a second-order parabolic partial differential equation(PDE) widely used in finance through an extension of LLeandrefs approach(LLeandre (2006,2008)) and the Bismut identiy(e.g. chapter IX-7 of Malliavin (1997)) in Malliavin calculus. We present two types of its applications, approximations of derivatives prices and short-time asymptotic expansions of the heat kernel. In particular, we provide approximate formulas for option prices under local and stochastic volatility models. We also derive short-time asymptotic expansions of the heat kernel under general timehomogenous local volatility and local-stochastic volatility models in finance, which include Heston (Heston (1993)) and (ƒÉ-)SABR models (Hagan et.al. (2002), Labordere (2008)) as special cases. Some numerical examples are shown.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo in its series CARF F-Series with number CARF-F-273.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision: Mar 2012
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Fournié & Jean-Michel Lasry & Pierre-Louis Lions & Jérôme Lebuchoux & Nizar Touzi, 1999. "Applications of Malliavin calculus to Monte Carlo methods in finance," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 391-412.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Eric Fournié & Jean-Michel Lasry & Pierre-Louis Lions & Jérôme Lebuchoux, 2001. "Applications of Malliavin calculus to Monte-Carlo methods in finance. II," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 201-236.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.