Dynamic Conditional Correlations for Asymmetric Processes
AbstractThe paper develops two Dynamic Conditional Correlation (DCC) models, namely the Wishart DCC (WDCC) model and the Matrix-Exponential Conditional Correlation (MECC) model. The paper applies the WDCC approach to the exponential GARCH (EGARCH) and GJR models to propose asymmetric DCC models. We use the standardized multivariate t-distribution to accommodate heavy-tailed errors. The paper presents an empirical example using the trivariate data of the Nikkei 225, Hang Seng and Straits Times Indices for estimating and forecasting the WDCC-EGARCH and WDCC-GJR models, and compares the performance with the asymmetric BEKK model. The empirical results show that AIC and BIC favour the WDCC-EGARCH model to the WDCC-GJR and asymmetric BEKK models. Moreover, the empirical results indicate that the WDCC-EGARCH-t model produces reasonable VaR threshold forecasts, which are very close to the nominal 1% to 3% values.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo in its series CARF F-Series with number CARF-F-168.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Asai, M. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Dynamic Conditional Correlations for Asymmetric Processes," Econometric Institute Report EI 2010-76, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Manabu Asai & Michael McAleer, 2009. "Dynamic Conditional Correlations for Asymmetric Processes," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-657, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Manabu Asai & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Dynamic Conditional Correlations for Asymmetric Processes," KIER Working Papers 747, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Manabu Asai & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Dynamic Conditional Correlations for Asymmetric Processes," Working Papers in Economics 10/76, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Manabu Asai & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Dynamic Conditional Correlations for Asymmetric Processes," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-30, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.