Performance Assessment in Primary Health Care: A Systematic Literature Review
AbstractThe aim of this research is to carry out a systematic literature review of the studies devoted to the performance assessment of primary health care providers. Focusing on the peculiarities of performance evaluation in the public sector, we analyse the selected empirical papers in terms of the efficacy of the developed measurement schemes. We also examine and classify performance measurement categories, dimensions, and techniques in order to provide a holistic picture of the main developments in the referred domain and to identify directions for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2013_03.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Primary health care; Performance assessment; Equity; Efficiency; Effectiveness.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- I14 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Inequality
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-03-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2013-03-09 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Hollingsworth & P.J. Dawson & N. Maniadakis, 1999. "Efficiency measurement of health care: a review of non‐parametric methods and applications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 161-172, July.
- Filipe Amado, Carla Alexandra & Dyson, Robert G., 2008. "On comparing the performance of primary care providers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 915-932, March.
- Murillo-Zamorano, Luis R. & Petraglia, C., 2008.
"Technical efficiency in primary health care: does quality matter?,"
10725, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Murillo-Zamorano & Carmelo Petraglia, 2011. "Technical efficiency in primary health care: does quality matter?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 115-125, April.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Campbell, S. M. & Roland, M. O. & Buetow, S. A., 2000. "Defining quality of care," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 51(11), pages 1611-1625, December.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Goddard, Maria & Smith, Peter, 2001. "Equity of access to health care services: : Theory and evidence from the UK," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(9), pages 1149-1162, November.
- George A. Boyne, 2002. "Public and Private Management: What's the Difference?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 97-122, 01.
- Culyer, A. J. & Wagstaff, Adam, 1993. "Equity and equality in health and health care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 431-457, December.
- Mooney, Gavin & Hall, Jane & Donaldson, Cam & Gerard, Karen, 1991. "Utilisation as a measure of equity: weighing heat?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 475-480.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G., 1995. "Exploring output quality targets in the provision of perinatal care in England using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 588-607, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.