A Growth Model with Qualities, Varieties, and Human Capital: Stability and Transitional Dynamics
AbstractThis article analyses the stability properties of the steady-state and the transitional dynamics of an endogenous growth model with human capital, increasing-varieties R&D, and quality-ladders R&D [Strulik, 2005, Review of International Economics, 13 (1): 129-145]. We show that when spillovers within R&D sectors are higher than spillovers across the two R&D sectors, the equilibrium is unstable. However, when spillovers between sectors are higher than within, the equilibrium is a saddle-path. This result emphasizes the need for empirical research that compares quantitatively the importance of these two types of spillovers and highlights the importance of studying intersectoral effects between the two R&D sectors. We describe plausible paths of economic development after changes in crucial parameters and uncover some transitional effects that were impossible to detect in the steady-state analysis. We also show that this model’s transition dynamics can mimic the main features of the process of productivity slowdown that began in the 1970’s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2012_04.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Vertical and Horizontal R&D; Human Capital; Endogenous Growth Models; Steady-State Stability; Transitional Dynamics.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2012-02-20 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-20 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- "Ana Balc�o" "Reis" & "Tiago Neves" "Sequeira", 2007. "Human Capital and Overinvestment in R&D," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 109(3), pages 573-591, 09.
- Sequeira, Tiago Neves, 2007.
"Transitional Dynamics of an Endogenous Growth Model with an Erosion Effect,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp508, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Tiago Neves Sequeira, 2008. "Transitional Dynamics Of An Endogenous Growth Model With An Erosion Effect," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 76(4), pages 436-452, 07.
- Arnold, Lutz G., 1998. "Growth, Welfare, and Trade in an Integrated Model of Human-Capital Accumulation and Research," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 81-105, January.
- Timo Trimborn & Karl-Josef Koch & Thomas M. Steger, 2004.
"Multi-dimensional transitional dynamics : a simple numerical procedure,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
04/35, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Trimborn, Timo & Koch, Karl-Josef & Steger, Thomas M., 2008. "Multidimensional Transitional Dynamics: A Simple Numerical Procedure," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 301-319, June.
- Karl-Josef Koch & Timo Trimborn & Thomas M. Steger, 2005. "Multi-Dimensional Transitional Dynamics: A Simple Numerical Procedure," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 121-05, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Timo Trimborn & Karl-Josef Koch & Thomas Steger, 2006. "Multi-Dimensional Transitional Dynamics: A Simple Numberical Procedure," CESifo Working Paper Series 1745, CESifo Group Munich.
- Arnold, Lutz G., 2000. "Endogenous growth with physical capital, human capital and product variety: A comment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1599-1605, August.
- Funke, Michael & Strulik, Holger, 2000.
"On endogenous growth with physical capital, human capital and product variety,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 491-515, March.
- Michael Funke & Holger Strulik, 2000. "On Endogenous Growth with Physical Capital, Human Capital and Product Variety," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20004, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Eicher, Theo S. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2001. "Transitional dynamics in a two-sector non-scale growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 85-113, January.
- Lutz G. Arnold, 2000. "Endogenous technological change: a note on stability," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 219-226.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.