Higher Education ‘Market’ in Portugal: a diagnosis
AbstractThe higher education system in Portugal, in recent decades, experienced profound structural changes, including a substantial increase in the number of higher education institutions, scattered throughout the country, with a growing number of students and teachers. The subject of this study is to examine the characteristics of current supply and demand within the higher education subsystem, in Portugal. The methodological approach includes two steps: first, making a characterization of key variables that shape demand and supply of higher education in Portugal and, second, using spatial econometric analysis, particularly multidimensional scaling, in order to estimate the location of universities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2011_13.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Higher education; Multidimensional scaling; Spatial location.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education and Research Institutions
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-05-14 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-LAB-2011-05-14 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.