A Conceptual Framework of Consumer Food Choice Behaviour
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to develop a conceptual framework for the analysis of consumer behaviour concerning the evaluation and choice of food products. The paper presents a review of theory on the processes of consumers' decision making and quality perception. Following this review, a theoretical framework is proposed that integrates the models of Engel, Blackwell and Miniard (1995), the main constructs of the Total Food Quality model of Grunert (1997), together with additional constructs and relationships between them, proposed by Zeithaml (1988) and by the authors of the present paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2009_06.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Consumer behaviour; Food; Decision-making; Perception; Quality.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-05-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-MKT-2009-05-16 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asp, Elaine H., 1999. "Factors affecting food decisions made by individual consumers," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2-3), pages 287-294, May.
- Hansen, Torben, 2001. "Quality in the marketplace: : A theoretical and empirical investigation," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 203-211, April.
- Bettman, James R & Park, C Whan, 1980. " Effects of Prior Knowledge and Experience and Phase of the Choice Process on Consumer Decision Processes: A Protocol Analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(3), pages 234-48, December.
- Lefkoff-Hagius, Roxanne & Mason, Charlotte H, 1993. " Characteristic, Beneficial, and Image Attributes in Consumer Judgments of Similarity and Preference," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(1), pages 100-110, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.