Industry Structure and Productivity Growth: Panel Data Evidence for Germany from 1971–2000
AbstractThe paper presents a detailed industry-level productivity analysis (52 industries) for the effects of industry structure on TFP growth for Germany from 1971 until 2000. The analysis builds on a theory by Acemoglu et al. (2003) relating industry structure and productivity growth of an industry. The analysis reveals positive effects of vertically disintegrated industries with respect to TFP growth during a convergence period. After the convergence period, there remains only a positive effect for industries which use a higher share of imported intermediate inputs, especially in manufacturing industries, providing evidence for beneficial effects of higher levels of international cooperation on TFP growth. The database of the analysis is the recently collected productivity database for Germany. The Ifo Productivity Database, which is unique due to its high data quality, offers industry- and asset-specific capital data and also for the first time data on domestic and international intermediates input over such a long period. The database allows to allocate productivity growth according to the gross output growth accounting method following Jorgenson and Stiroh (2000).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich in its series Ifo Working Paper Series with number Ifo Working Paper No. 24.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Growth accounting; productivity; sectoral analysis; internationalization; globalization; international outsourcing; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ark, Bart van & Inklaar, Robert & McGuckin, Robert, 2002. ""Changing gear" : productivity, ICT and services: Europe and the United States," GGDC Research Memorandum 200260, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 1998.
"Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
6803, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & John C. Haltiwanger & C. J. Krizan, 2001. "Aggregate Productivity Growth. Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 303-372 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & C J Krizan & Lucia Foster, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons From Microeconomic Evidence," Working Papers 98-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2002.
"Vertical Integration and Distance to Frontier,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3565, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acemoglu, D. & Aghion, P. & Zilibotti, F., 2003. "Vertical integration and distance to frontier," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Zilibotti, F & Aghion, P & Acemoglu, D, 2003. "Vertical integration and distance to frontier," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2002. "Vertical Integration and Distance to Frontier," NBER Working Papers 9191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Aghion, Philippe, 2003. "Vertical Integration and Distance to Frontier," Scholarly Articles 4481512, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2000. "Outsourcing and skill-specific employment in a small economy: Austria and the fall of the Iron Curtain," Economics working papers 2000-24, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter, 2007.
"Outsourcing and trade in a spatial world,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 441-470, November.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2004. "Outsourcing and Trade in a Spatial World," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_025, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2004. "Outsourcing and Trade in a Spatial World," CESifo Working Paper Series 1349, CESifo Group Munich.
- Oulton,Nicholas & O'Mahony,Mary, 1994. "Productivity and Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521453455, October.
- Bernd Görzig & Andreas Stephan, 2002.
"Outsourcing and Firm-level Performance,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
309, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2006.
"International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-Skilled Labor in the EU,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, . "International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-skilled Labour in the EU," WIFO Working Papers 152, WIFO.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2003. "The Case of the Missing Productivity Growth: Or, Does Information Technology Explain why Productivity Accelerated in the US but not the UK?," NBER Working Papers 10010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter, 2005. "Labor market effects of outsourcing under industrial interdependence," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 349-363.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.