Regulatory Competition and Multi-national Banking
AbstractThis paper focuses on the consequences of cross-border banking and entry of multi-national banks (MNBs) for banking supervision and regulation. When a MNB expands internationally with subsidiaries, the MNB operates under the legislation of several countries - both the home country and the host countries. Although these countries have agreed upon minimum standards and supervisory principles, such as in the EU directives or the Basle Accords, substantial degrees of freedom are still left to the national regulators. An important issue is whether the decentralized approach to regulation of MNBs creates inefficiencies and financial instability. We show that lack of international coordination of regulation towards MNB-subsidiaries works to lower capital adequacy requirements. In equilibrium, however, regulators respond by increasing the incentives to improve asset quality, making the probability of banking failure insensitive to the decentralized nature of banking regulation. Ownership of the MNB is shown to be of importance for the outcome of regulatory competition. Finally, considering branch-organized MNBs, we derive comparative results with respect to regulatory policy and MNBs‘ preferred form of representation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 971.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
banking regulation; multi-national banks; common-agency;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2004-05-02 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2004-05-02 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim S. Campbell & Yuk-Shee Chan & Anthony M. Marino, 1990.
"An incentive based theory of bank regulation,"
Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco,
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2001.
"Risk Taking, Limited Liability and the Competition of Bank Regulators,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
603, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2002. "Risktaking, Limited Liability, and the Competition of Bank Regulators," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, TÃ¼bingen, Mohr Siebeck, TÃ¼bingen, vol. 59(3), pages 305-, August.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2003. "Risktaking, Limited Liability, and the Competition of Bank Regulators," Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics 19615, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2001. "Risk Taking, Limited Liability and the Competition of Bank Regulators," NBER Working Papers 8669, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2002.
"The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1659-1673, July.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2001. "The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games," CESifo Working Paper Series 575, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yuk-Shee Chan & Stuart I. Greenbaum & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004.
"Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
- Giammarino, Ronald M & Lewis, Tracy R & Sappington, David E M, 1993.
" An Incentive Approach to Banking Regulation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1523-42, September.
- Giammarino, R.M. & Sappington, D.E.M., 1990. "An Incentive Approach to Banking Regulation," Papers, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs 367, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- João A. C. Santos, 2000. "Bank capital regulation in contemporary banking theory: a review of the literature," BIS Working Papers 90, Bank for International Settlements.
- David Martimort, 1996.
"The multiprincipal nature of government,"
153244, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Freixas, X. & Gabillon, E., 1998.
"Optimal Regulation of a Fully Insured Deposit Banking System,"
Papers, Toulouse - GREMAQ
98.506, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Freixas, Xavier & Gabillon, Emmanuelle, 1999. "Optimal Regulation of a Fully Insured Deposit Banking System," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 111-34, September.
- Xavier Freixas & Emmanuelle Gabillon, 1996. "Optimal regulation of a fully insured deposit banking system," Economics Working Papers 175, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Olsen, Trond E. & Osmundsen, Petter, 2001.
"Strategic tax competition; implications of national ownership,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 253-277, August.
- Olsen, T.E. & Osmundsen, P., 1998. "Strategic Tax Competition; Implications of National Ownership," Papers, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration- 11/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Trond Olsen & Petter Osmundsen, 2000. "Strategic Tax Competition; Implications of National Ownership," CESifo Working Paper Series 281, CESifo Group Munich.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Restructuring Financial Regulation in the European Monetary Union," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 57-82, February.
- Bond, Eric W. & Gresik, Thomas A., 1996. "Regulation of multinational firms with two active governments: A common agency approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 33-53, January.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2006. "Competition among regulators and credit market integration," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 401-430, February.
- Calzolari, Giacomo, 2001. "The Theory and Practice of Regulation with Multinational Enterprises," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 191-211, September.
- Olsen, Trond E. & Osmundsen, Petter, 2003. "Spillovers and international competition for investments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 211-238, January.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Solvency regulations and the management of banking risks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 981-990, April.
- David MARTIMORT, 1992.
"Multi-principaux avec anti-sÃ©lection,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 28, pages 1-37.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Gyongyi Loranth, 2001. "On the Regulation of Multinational Banks," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, SIPI Spa, vol. 91(4), pages 297-, April-May.
- Agur, Itai, 2013. "Multiple bank regulators and risk taking," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 259-268.
- Juan Luis JimÃ©nez & Javier Campos, 2004. "Efectos de la descentralizaciÃ³n de la polÃtica de defensa de la competencia," Documentos de trabajo conjunto ULL-ULPGC, Facultad de Ciencias EconÃ³micas de la ULPGC 2004-09, Facultad de Ciencias EconÃ³micas de la ULPGC.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.