From Excess to Shortage - Recent Developments in the Danish Labour Market
AbstractThe Danish labour market has undergone a remarkable change during the 1990s with a reduction of the unemployment rate from about 12 per cent in 1993 to less than 6 per cent at the turn of the century. This reflects both a turn in the business cycle but also structural changes related to shifts in labour market policies. The focus of labour market policies has been changed from passive measures towards more active measures and there has also been important changes in the unemployment insurance system. This paper offers an overview of the developments in the Danish labour market during the 1990s, and reviews the major policy shifts, as well as possible explanations of the remarkable reduction in unemployment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 933.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta & Olivier Boylaud, 2000. "Summary Indicators of Product Market Regulation with an Extension to Employment Protection Legislation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 226, OECD Publishing.
- Donald O. Parsons & Torben Tranæs & Helene Bie Lilleør, 1999.
"Voluntary Public Unemployment Insurance,"
EPRU Working Paper Series, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics
03-05, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Jun 2003.
- Oswald Andrew J., 1996. "A Conjecture on the Explanation for High Unemployment in the Industrialized Nations : Part I," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 475, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Andersen, Torben M & Hylleberg, Svend, 2000. "Sources of Persistence in Employment Adjustment--Denmark 1974-93," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 72-95, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.