A Case for Partial Funding of Pensions with an Application to the EU Candidate Countries
AbstractThe paper examines the effects of ageing and makes a case for partial pre-funding of pensions. The argument is based on inter-generational fairness in a situation where pension expenditure as compared to wages increases due to low fertility and increasing longevity. We illustrate the approach by using data representing a typical EU Candidate Country of Central and Eastern Europe with a relatively high pension replacement rate. Pre-funding can take place within the public sector or in a privatised second pillar. We emphasise the need for a consistent framework to cover the many different institutional options available for pension financing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 466.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Pension system reform; partial pre-funding; ageing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin & Liebman, Jeffrey B., 2002.
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 32, pages 2245-2324
- Jukka Lassila & Tarmo Valkonen, 2002. "Prefunding in a Defined Benefit Pension System: The Finnish Case," NBER Chapters, in: Social Security Pension Reform in Europe, pages 263-290 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robin Brooks, 2000. "What Will Happen To Financial Markets When The Baby Boomers Retire?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 92, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jukka Lassila & Tarmo Valkonen, 2001.
"Pension Prefunding, Ageing, and Demographic Uncertainty,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 573-593, August.
- Lassila, Jukka & Valkonen, Tarmo, 2000. "Pension Prefunding, Ageing, and Demographic Uncertainty," Discussion Papers 741, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Sheetal K. Chand & Albert Jaeger, 1996. "Aging Populations and Public Pension Schemes," IMF Occasional Papers 147, International Monetary Fund.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1997.
"The Value of Children and Immigrants in a Pay-As-You-Go Pension System: A Proposal for a Partial Transition to a Funded System,"
NBER Working Papers
6229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "The Value of Children and Immigrants in a Pay-As-You-Go Pension System: A Proposal For a Partial Transition to a Funded System," CEPR Discussion Papers 1734, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- N. A. Barr, 2000. "Reforming Pensions," IMF Working Papers 00/139, International Monetary Fund.
- Heikki Oksanen, 2001. "Pension Reforms for Sustainability and Fairness," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(4), pages 12-18, October.
- K. Mc Morrow & W. R�ger, 2002. "EU pension reform - An overview of the debate and an empirical assessment of the main policy reform options," European Economy - Economic Papers 162, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2005. "Europe's Demographic Deficit," Munich Reprints in Economics 934, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Heikki Oksanen, 2003. "Population ageing and public finance targets," European Economy - Economic Papers 196, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Evelin, Ahermaa & Luigi, Bernardi, 2004. "Tax polici in new EU members: Estonia and othr Baltic states," MPRA Paper 18158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2005. "Europe’s Demographic Deficit A Plea For A Child Pension System," De Economist, Springer, vol. 153(1), pages 1-45, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.