Optimal Income Taxation with Uncertain Earnings: A Synthesis
AbstractWe study optimal nonlinear income taxation when earnings can differ because of both ability and luck, so the income tax has both a redistributive role and an insurance role. A substantial literature on optimal redistribution in the absence of uncertainty has evolved since Mirrlees’ original contribution. The literature on the income tax as a social insurance device is more limited. It has largely assumed that households are ex ante identical so unequal earnings are due to uncertainty alone. We provide a general treatment of the optimal income tax under uncertainty when households differ in ability. We characterize optimal marginal tax rates and interpret them in terms of redistribution, insurance and incentive effects. The case of ex ante identical households and the no-risk case with heterogeneous abilities come out as special cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3654.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
optimal income taxation; wage risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BOADWAY, R. & MARCHAND, M. & PESTIEAU, P. & del MAR RACIONERO, M., 2001.
"Optimal redistribution with heterogeneous preferences for leisure,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robin Boadway & Maurice Marchand & Pierre Pestieau & María del Mar Racionero, 2002. "Optimal Redistribution with Heterogeneous Preferences for Leisure," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(4), pages 475-498, October.
- BOADWAY, Robin & MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU , Pierre & RACIONERO, Maria del mar, . "Optimal redistribution with heterogeneous preferences for leisure," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1566, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marc Fleurbaey & Fran�ois Maniquet, 2006.
"Fair Income Tax,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(1), pages 55-83.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & MANIQUET, François, . "Fair income tax," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1845, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marc Fleurbaey & Francois Maniquet, 2002. "Fair Income Tax," Economics Working Papers 0021, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Robin Boadway & Laurence Jacquet, 2006.
"Optimal Marginal and Average Income Taxation under Maxi-min,"
1073, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, Robin & Jacquet, Laurence, 2008. "Optimal marginal and average income taxation under maximin," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 425-441, November.
- Robin, BOADWAY & Laurence, JACQUET, 2006. "Optimal Marginal and Average Income Taxation under Maxi-min," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006020, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Bas Jacobs & Dirk Schindler & Hongyan Yang, 2012.
"Optimal Taxation of Risky Human Capital,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(3), pages 908-931, 09.
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Kitao, Sagiri & Krueger, Dirk, 2006.
"Taxing capital? Not a bad idea after all!,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2006/21, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Juan C. Conesa & Dirk Krueger, 2004. "Taxing Capital: Not a Bad Idea After All," 2004 Meeting Papers 403, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Sagiri Kitao & Dirk Krueger, 2007. "Taxing Capital? Not a Bad Idea After All!," NBER Working Papers 12880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Kitao, Sagiri & Krüger, Dirk, 2006. "Taxing Capital? Not a Bad Idea After All!," CEPR Discussion Papers 5929, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ravi Kanbur & Jukka Pirttilä & Matti Tuomala, 2008.
"Moral Hazard, Income Taxation and Prospect Theory,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(2), pages 321-337, 06.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Pirttila, Jukka & Tuomala, Matti, 2004. "Moral Hazard, Income Taxation, And Prospect Theory," Working Papers 127136, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1979.
"Good Nevs and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications,"
407R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1981. "Good News and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 380-391, Autumn.
- Myles,Gareth D., 1995. "Public Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521497695, October.
- Dirk Schindler & Hongyan Yang, 2010. "Catalysts for Social Insurance: Education Subsidies vs. Real Capital Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3278, CESifo Group Munich.
- Anderberg, Dan & Andersson, Fredrik, 2003. "Investments in human capital, wage uncertainty, and public policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(7-8), pages 1521-1537, August.
- Bach, Stefan & Corneo, Giacomo & Steiner, Viktor, 2011.
"Optimal top marginal tax rates under income splitting for couples,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8435, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bach, Stefan & Corneo, Giacomo & Steiner, Viktor, 2012. "Optimal top marginal tax rates under income splitting for couples," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1055-1069.
- Bach, Stefan & Corneo, Giacomo & Steiner, Viktor, 2011. "Optimal top marginal tax rates under income splitting for couples," Discussion Papers 2011/21, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Hsu, Minchung & Yang, C.C., 2013. "Optimal linear and two-bracket income taxes with idiosyncratic earnings risk," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 58-71.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.