Local Fiscal Equalization in Estonia: Is a Reform Necessary?
AbstractEstonian municipalities should perform a broad range of functions, while their fiscal resources are often limited and large disparities in fiscal capacity prevail among them. Moreover, the power to regulate fiscal affairs is mostly in the hands of the central government. We discuss how a strict application of the connexity principle can protect municipalities from the fiscal bottleneck. We also recommend the introduction of the principle of parallelism and investigate its effects on the unconditional, down-flow grant system in Estonia. In particular the procedure of determining the total sum of block grants appears to be changed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 2800.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
fiscal equalization; municipal finance; connexity; principles of parallelism; Estonia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H27 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Other Sources of Revenue
- H70 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - General
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Friedrich & Janno Reiljan, 2010. "Strategies In The Fiscal Reform Of Estonian General Education," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 73, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- de Mello, Luiz Jr, 2000. "Fiscal Decentralization and Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 365-380, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.