Input Demand and the Short- and Long-Run Employment Thresholds. An Empirical Analysis for the German Manufacturing Sector
AbstractThe concept of the "employment threshold" plays an important role in the public discussion of unemployment. The employment threshol d is defined as that growth rate of output which is necessary to keep employment constant despite the continuous rise in labour productivity. It is related to the Okun coefficient which describes the relationship between the changes of output and unemploy ment. Many contributions to this debate give the impression that the employment threshold is more or less a structural characteristic which remains constant over time. In this paper we derive short- and long-run employment thresholds from an input demand sy stem and show empirically that they depend on factor prices. A moderate wage policy leads to a reduction of the output growth which is necessary for an increase in employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 264.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Okun's Law; employment threshold; productivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Gebhardt Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2001. "Input Demand and the Short- and Long-Run Employment Thresholds: An Empirical Analysis for the German Manufacturing Sector," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(4), pages 367-384, November.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Rottmann, Horst, 2001. "Input demand and the short and long-run employment thresholds: An empirical analysis for the German manufacturing sector," Munich Reprints in Economics 20372, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1978. "Applications of Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 3 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1997. "Is There a Core of Practical Macroeconomics That We Should All Believe?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 240-43, May.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 1997. "The Demand of Heterogeneous Labour in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Hesse, Dieter M., 1986. "Measuring and assessing capacity utilization in the manufacturing sectors of nine oecd countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 961-989, October.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1984. "Systematic sampling and temporal aggregation in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-281, December.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Guenter Lang, 2002. "Innovative Slowdown, Productivity Reversal? - Estimating the Impact of R&D on Technological Change," Discussion Paper Series 218, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Jung, Sven, 2012. "Employment adjustment in German firms," Discussion Papers 80, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Rottmann, Horst, 2009.
"Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20370, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2009. "Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(1), pages 22-35, February.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 2000. "Outsourcing of services, imported materials and the demand for heterogeneous labour : an application of a generalised box-cox function," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-51, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2004. "Erhöht der Kündigungsschutz die Beschäftigungsschwelle?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 57(17), pages 13-17, 09.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and Employment Thresholds. An International Comparison," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Papers No.15, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Beate Schirwitz, 2005. "Wirtschaftswachstum und Beschäftigung : die Beschäftigungsschwelle (Wachstum und Beschäftigung)," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(03), pages 34-37, 06.
- Guenter Lang, 2008. "Measuring the Returns of Research and Development: An Empirical Study of the German Manufacturing Sector over 45 Years," Working Papers 10, The German University in Cairo, Faculty of Management Technology.
- Cristiano Perugini, 2008.
"Employment Intensity of Growth in Italy A Note Using Regional Data,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
55/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- PERUGINI, Cristiano, 2009. "Employment Intensity Of Growth In Italy. A Note Using Regional Data," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2007. "Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth. An International Comparison," CESifo Working Paper Series 2175, CESifo Group Munich.
- Klaus Abberger & Gebhard Flaig & Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2007. "ifo Konjunkturumfragen und Konjunkturanalyse : ausgewählte methodische Aufsätze aus dem ifo Schnelldienst," ifo Forschungsberichte, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 33, 6.
- Gebhard Flaig & Wolfgang Nierhaus & Wolfgang Meister & Oscar-Erich Kuntze & Andrea Gebauer & Erich Langmantel & Martin Meurers & Monika Ruschinski & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2003. "ifo Konjunkturprognose 2004: Erholung hat begonnen," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 56(24), pages 16-42, December.
- Jung, Sven, 2013. "Employment Adjustment in German Firms," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79696, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.