Common Trends and Common Cycles among Interest Rates of the G7-Countries
AbstractIn this paper we re-investigate the comovements of interest rates in the G7-countries. We propose a structured modus operandi to analyze the time series characteristics of interest rates and to test for common features. We conduct cointegration, serial correlation common feature and codependence tests with nominal and real interest rates using quarterly data from 1975 to 2007. Overall we only find little evidence of comovements. Common trends are occasionally observed, but the majority of interest rates are not cointegrated. Although some evidence for codependence of higher order is found among European countries, common cycles appear to exist only in rare cases and cannot be generalized for all interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 2532.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
interest rates; comovement; cointegration; serial correlation common feature; codependence;
Other versions of this item:
- Lindenberg, Nannette & Westermann, Frank, 2012. "Common trends and common cycles among interest rates of the G7-countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1125-1140.
- Nannette Lindenberg & Frank Westermann, 2009. "Common Trends and Common Cycles among Interest Rates of the G7-Countries," Working Papers 77, Institute of Empirical Economic Research.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 2007.
"A unifying framework for analysing common cyclical features in cointegrated time series,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 896-906, October.
- Gianluca Cubadda, 2007. "A Unifying Framework for Analysing Common Cyclical Features in Cointegrated Time Series," CEIS Research Paper 102, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Kugler, Peter & Neusser, K, 1993.
"International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time-Series Approach,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 163-74, April-Jun.
- Peter KUGLER & Klaus NEUSSER, 1990. "International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time Series Approach," Vienna Economics Papers vie9003, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- John Thornton & Alicia García-Herrero, 1997. "Additional evidence on monetary base and interest rate linkages in the EMS," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 359-368, 06.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Dickson Tam & Matthew S. Yiu, 2006.
"Does the Chinese Interest Rate Follow the US Interest Rate?,"
192006, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Dickson C. Tam & Matthew S. Yiu, 2008. "Does the Chinese interest rate follow the US interest rate?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 53-67.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Dickson Tam & Matthew S. Yiu, 2007. "Does the Chinese Interest Rate Follow the US Interest Rate?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1943, CESifo Group Munich.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert F. Engle & Sharon Kozicki, 1990.
"Testing For Common Features,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Peaucelle, Irina, 1989. "Detecting a long run relationship (with an application to the p.p.p. hypothesis)," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8902, CEPREMAP.
- Diego Romero-Ávila, 2007. "Unit roots and persistence in the nominal interest rate: a confirmatory analysis applied to the OECD," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(3), pages 980-1007, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Karanasos, M. & Sekioua, S.H. & Zeng, N., 2006.
"On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates: New evidence from over a century of data,"
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 163-169, February.
- Menelaos Karananos & S.H Sekioua & N Zeng, 2005. "On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates new evidence from over a century of data," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 21, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 2003.
"Sectoral trends and cycles in Germany,"
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 141-156, January.
- Viktoria Hnatkovska & Amartya Lahiri & Carlos A. Vegh, 2008. "Interest Rates and the Exchange Rate: A Non-Monotonic Tale," NBER Working Papers 13925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1991.
"Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 819-40, September.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1992. "Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 2229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate King, Plosser, Stock, Watson AER 1991 results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00107, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "Stochastic trends and economic fluctuations," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Guy Meredith, 2004. "Monetary Policy and Long-Horizon Uncovered Interest Parity," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(3), pages 409-430, November.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2007.
"Codependence in cointegrated autoregressive models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 137-159.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2004. "Codependence in Cointegrated Autoregressive Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 286, Society for Computational Economics.
- Espen Henriksen & Finn E. Kydland & Roman Sustek, .
"The High Cross-Country Correlations of Prices and Interest Rates,"
11/01, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Roman Sustek & Finn Kydland & Espen Henriksen, 2008. "The High Correlations of Prices and Interest Rates across Nations," 2008 Meeting Papers 773, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Henriksen, Espen & Kydland, Finn & Sustek, Roman, 2008. "The High Cross-Country Correlations of Prices and Interest Rates," MPRA Paper 10963, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 1999. "Common Cycles in Seasonal Non-stationary Time Series," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 273-91, May-June.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Rapach, David E. & Weber, Christian E., 2004. "Are real interest rates really nonstationary? New evidence from tests with good size and power," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 409-430, September.
- Zhou, Su, 2003. "Interest rate linkages within the European Monetary System: new evidence incorporating long-run trends," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 571-590, August.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1995. "Lag Order and Critical Values of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller Test," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 277-80, July.
- Vahid, Farshid & Engle, Robert F., 1997. "Codependent cycles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 199-221, October.
- Engle, Robert F. & Issler, Joao Victor, 1995. "Estimating common sectoral cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 83-113, February.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Rose, Andrew Kenan, 1988. " Is the Real Interest Rate Stable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1095-1112, December.
- Bremnes, Helge & Gjerde, Oystein & Soettem, Frode, 2001. " Linkages among Interest Rates in the United States, Germany and Norway," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 127-45, March.
- Wu, Yangru & Zhang, Hua, 1996. "Mean Reversion in Interest Rates: New Evidence from a Panel of OECD Countries," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 604-21, November.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 1999.
"Output Dynamics of the G7 Countries - Stochastic Trends and Cyclical Movements,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
220, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 2002. "Output dynamics of the G7 countries--stochastic trends and cyclical movements," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2239-2247.
- Jakob de Haan & Tigran Poghosyan, 2007. "Interest Rate Linkages in EMU Countries: A Rolling Threshold Vector Error-Correction Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 2060, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lai, Kon S., 2004. "On structural shifts and stationarity of the ex ante real interest rate," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 217-228.
- Urga, Giovanni, 2007. "Common Features in Economics and Finance: An Overview of Recent Developments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 2-11, January.
- Zisimos Koustas & Jean-Francois Lamarche, 2010. "Evidence of nonlinear mean reversion in the real interest rate," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 237-248.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993. "Testing for Common Features: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 393-95, October.
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Osman, Ms. Amber, 2012. "Do consumers buy bread and diamond with the same attachment?," MPRA Paper 45094, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Osman, Mohammad, 2012. "Co-movements of consumption patterns of high and low involvement products," MPRA Paper 37659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bicu Andreea & Candelon Bertrand, 2012. "Government bond market dynamics and sovereign risk: systemic or idiosyncratic?," Research Memoranda 032, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.