Intergenerational Risk Sharing, Pensions and Endogenous Labor Supply in General Equilibrium
AbstractIn the context of a two-tier pension system, with a pay-as-you-go first tier and a fully funded second tier, we demonstrate that a system with a defined wage-indexed second tier performs strictly better than one with a defined contribution or defined real benefit second tier. The former completely separates systematic redistribution (confined to the first tier) from intergenerational risk sharing (the role of the second tier). This way labor supply is undistorted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 2185.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
funded pensions; risk sharing; overlapping generations; endogenous labour supply;
Other versions of this item:
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & Ward E. Romp & Siert J. Vos, 2013. "Intergenerational Risk Sharing, Pensions, and Endogenous Labour Supply in General Equilibrium," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 115(1), pages 141-154, 01.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:iniesr:493 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matsen, E. & Thogersen, O., 2001.
"Designing Social Security - A Portfolio Choice Approach,"
21/2001, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Matsen, Egil & Thogersen, Oystein, 2004. "Designing social security - a portfolio choice approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 883-904, August.
- Egil Matsen & Øystein Thøgersen, 2000. "Designing Social Security – A Portfolio Choice Approach," Working Paper Series 1102, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & A. Lans Bovenberg, 2009. "Pensions and Intergenerational Risk-sharing in General Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(302), pages 364-386, 04.
- Andreas Wagener, 2001.
"On Intergenerational Risk Sharing within Social Security Schemes,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
499, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wagener, Andreas, 2004. "On intergenerational risk sharing within social security schemes," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 181-206, March.
- Piero Gottardi & Felix Kubler, 2006.
"Social Security and Risk Sharing,"
2006_38, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Piero Gottardi & Felix Kubler, 2009. "Social Security and Risk Sharing," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/12, European University Institute.
- Piero Gottardi & Felix Kubler, 2006. "Social Security and Risk Sharing," CESifo Working Paper Series 1705, CESifo Group Munich.
- Felix Kubler & Department of Economics & Department of Economics & Piero Gottardi, 2007. "Social Security and RIsk Sharing," 2007 Meeting Papers 625, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dirk Krueger & Felix Kubler, 2002. "Intergenerational Risk-Sharing via Social Security when Financial Markets Are Incomplete," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 407-410, May.
- Roel Beetsma & Alessandro Bucciol, 2011. "Risk Sharing in Defined-Contribution Funded Pension Systems," CESifo Working Paper Series 3640, CESifo Group Munich.
- Roel Beetsma & Ward Romp & Siert J. Vos, 2011.
"Voluntary Participation and Intergenerational Risk Sharing in a Funded Pension System,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-056/2/DSF19, Tinbergen Institute.
- Beetsma, Roel M.W.J. & Romp, Ward E. & Vos, Siert J., 2012. "Voluntary participation and intergenerational risk sharing in a funded pension system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1310-1324.
- Beetsma, Roel & Romp, Ward E & Vos, Siert-Jan, 2011. "Voluntary participation and intergenerational risk sharing in a funded pension system," CEPR Discussion Papers 8312, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roel Beetsma & Ward Romp, 2013. "Participation Constraints in Pension Systems," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-149/VI, Tinbergen Institute.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bovenberg, A Lans & Romp, Ward E, 2008.
"Funded Pensions and Intergenerational and International Risk Sharing in General Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7106, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma, Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A. Lans & Romp, Ward E., 2011. "Funded pensions and intergenerational and international risk sharing in general equilibrium," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1516-1534.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.