Diagnostic Tests of Cross Section Independence for Nonlinear Panel Data Models
AbstractIn this paper we discuss tests for residual cross section dependence in nonlinear panel data models. The tests are based on average pair-wise residual correlation coefficients. In nonlinear models, the definition of the residual is ambiguous and we consider two approaches: deviations of the observed dependent variable from its expected value and generalized residuals. We show the asymptotic consistency of the cross section dependence (CD) test of Pesaran (2004). In Monte Carlo experiments it emerges that the CD test has the correct size for any combination of N and T whereas the LM test relies on T large relative to N. We then analyze the roll-call votes of the 104th U.S. Congress and find considerable dependence between the votes of the members of Congress.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1984.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
cross-section dependence; nonlinear panel data model;
Other versions of this item:
- Hsiao, Cheng & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Pick, Andreas, 2007. "Diagnostic Tests of Cross Section Independence for Nonlinear Panel Data Models," IZA Discussion Papers 2756, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hsiao, C. & Pesaran, M.H. & Pick, A., 2007. "Diagnostic Tests of Cross Section Independence for Nonlinear Panel Data Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0716, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran & Andreas Pick, 2007. "Diagnostic Tests of Cross Section Independence for Nonlinear Panel Data Model," DNB Working Papers 140, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frees, Edward W., 1995. "Assessing cross-sectional correlation in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 393-414, October.
- Chesher, Andrew & Irish, Margaret, 1987. "Residual analysis in the grouped and censored normal linear model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 33-61.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 2002. "Consistency And Efficiency Of Least Squares Estimation For Mixed Regressive, Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 252-277, April.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004.
"General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004. "‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Renault, Eric & Trognon, Alain, 1987. "Generalised residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 5-32.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Aman Ullah & Takashi Yamagata, 2008.
"A bias-adjusted LM test of error cross-section independence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 105-127, 03.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Ullah, A. & Yamagata. T., 2006. "A Bias-Adjusted LM Test of Error Cross Section Independence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0641, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2000-20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ullah, Aman, 2004. "Finite Sample Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 1, number 9780198774488.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Trognon, A., 1985. "A General Approach to Serial Correlation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 315-340, December.
- Vasilis Sarafidis & Tom Wansbeek, 2012.
"Cross-Sectional Dependence in Panel Data Analysis,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 483-531, September.
- Martí Ballester, Carmen Pilar, 2013. "Determinants of equity pension plan flows," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-15, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.